• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Growing veg etc for buns

Ben's mum

Warren Veteran
OK, I've bought a few seed packs from Ebay - kale, which came with some free sprouting brocolli, pak choi, as well as some herbal grass mix and wheat, oat & barley seeds from The Hay Expert.
I've cleared the area outside the bun shed of all the junk in order to plant it up but I'm certainly not greenfingered and don't know the best way to go about it!
I take it I just spread the grass seed as per the instructions but what's best for the veg? Do I need to grow it indoors or in trays or anything? All the packets say is "Sow April-June for transplanting July" which I assume means pots indoors then move to outside? And will this weather mess up what months things are meant to be planted? I have no idea what I'm doing :lol:

I'm useless at growing anything apart from little pots of grass for the rabbits.

However, my mum is a really good gardener and she swears by the Carol Klein 'Grow your own veg' book, if you can buy or borrow it.

We now have our own carrots and greens, my lot adore them!

you could grow in trays on your window sill, but this time of year you can, grow direct into the ground, prepare the ground, then you make a straight furrow, spinkle seed evenly,cover with soil gently. water in , but nake sure you use the spinkle head on watering can or you,ll wash the seeds out the ground, also put an old net or strings across the top stop the birdies feasting on the seeds, also some plastic srips to rattle, or if you have a wind chime. hang near seeds. also make use of your bunny poop, lovely fertilizer, you will need to thin out when seedlings are older.

Back