• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you do with your rabbit waste (dirty bedding)?

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
Since the summer arrived (ha! :rolleyes: ) I've been cleaning Jen and Frankie's litter trays daily. This is fine but it does mean that I generate more rubbish and each week it only just fits in the bin. It's a bit frustrating because we recycle loads and before the buns our bin was almost completely empty each week and now it's always nearly full :oops:

I have two compost bins but the rubbish weather has meant that it hasn't composted down very fast and there's no more room for more bunny poos :(

What does everyone else do? Do most people take it along to the recycling centre themselves, or just squash it in the household waste? :(

Our council supply (at a cost of £30 a year) green (garden) waste bins which Janice, I and a few other of our fosterers use. We can put hay, poo and sawdust in these but paper can't be put in in large amounts. I throw the very mucky outside sheets in dustbin and the inner sheets which are just wet go into the paper recyling.
I am like you and only have 1 bag of rubbish each week (which isn't bad for a family our size) because we recycle all we can.

So far I have been able to take mine to the local tip. Goodness knows what I'll do if they stop allowing that as I clean out the pens everyday.....:?

Janex

Chuck it in the brown bin for garden waste, then chuck grass cuttings over the top, and they never know! If they did, they probably wouldn't allow me, which is ridiculous as its only hay, poo, and carefresh, which all breaks down naturally.:D

Our council don't provide Green / Brown bins for garden waste :( After reading Donna's message though I went onto the council website to see if they offered something similar. There's no option to get a bin, but it would seem that you can buy green bin bags from the local libraries which once full are collected by the council and composted. That'll be perfect, provided that they don't argue that as it's animal waste it can't be included (seems to depend on who you ask - I know it's just recycled hay but some people can't see beyond the animal poo bit :roll: :lol: )

Oh boo... just rang the council and apparently the reason it can't go into the green sacks is because they don't actually compost that waste. Rather, it's chopped up, sterilised and used as a 'soil improver' rather than actual compost :(

The lady I spoke to suggested taking it to the tip...

They used to empty my bin weekly, but are now fortnightly. I could fill it about 4 times a week:oops: Our recycling here is :censored: , so now I go to the tip once a week with a lovely new car full of bun :censored: & recyclable bottles/card etc:lol: I do one trip & sometimes bloke does another.

I do have a garden waste bin, but it states very clearly no animal litter:roll: , so that remains empty 99% of the time.

When my household wheelie bin is getting a bit full, I save the bunny waste in bin liners, then, the night before the bins are emptied, I go and shove a bag in all the neighbours bins, providing they have space!:D No-one seems to mind (though thats probably I do it under the cover of darkness :lol:) and as long as they arent yet charging by the weight of your bin, I dont see it a problem. If they do start charging for collection I'll have to go to the tip once a week with the trailor.:?

I clean mine out only once a week to 10 days - thick megazorb with daily fresh hay on top seems to be super absorbent and I top up the megazorb too over the hay after a few days. Even so my patio is permanently covered in black bin bags as I have no car - occasionally my ex takes them to the tip or I manage to squeeze them all in someone else's bin. I used to hire a skip every couple of months and cleaned them out more frequently, but I just can't afford £10 a week on a skip. When I put it in the green bin they refused to empty it as it's not compostable according to them :roll: I also have the world's largest compost heap at the bottom of my not very big garden - I haven't added to it recently though as it smells in summer :(

We change our 3 every 2 days. We do have a green bin for garden waste. A full page advert is place in the local paper stating no animal bedding to be placed into the green bin. So I spoke to the local recycling helpline and they told me no animal waste to be taken to the local tip, and it shouldn't be place in your green bin and certianly not in your normal household waste.

Hello! where do we put it then?

So we put it in the normal household waste bin in a biodegrable bag, we are hoping to get a wormery soon and the worms will compost the sawdust and hay down.

Regards

Jode

I do it twice weekly and usually get it into mine and my neighbours bin (they dont mind sharing) however we seem to have aquired an extra black bin from somewhere....been outside for nearly a week so may be giving it a home soon ;)

mine goes in our bin in me mums bin which is a fortnightly collection...in her compost bin which is going like the clappers thanks to french lop poo!
years ago our council had a vegetarian pet waste collection they were starting but never carried on with cos dog poo and cat poo was being shoved in it too:(
it makes wonderful compost and if my garden ever gets sorted out ..the firm says too much rain..do you think so?:lol: then id have seveal compost bins but theyd fill up so fast!
i think its so wateful in the tip..if it could be colected as bunny/piggie/rattie/hammy/mousey waste in a huge bag fortnightly like the recycling then they could make wonderful compost from it all and sell it like they do the garden waste collection one.
put the compost folks out of pocket..esp if you see my mums plants enhanced by french lop poo!:lol:

at the moment mine (litter tray only - Sawdust and straw with a little hay)goes straight on the garden as a mulch as we have newly planted beds with big gaps between bushes. We might get some field weeds in the future but the blooming weather means we can't compost anything at the moment either.

It breaks my little gardening heart to hear of all this good compost which people can't get rid of. Before you go down the 'take it to the tip' or 'chuck it in the bin' route, you could make a gardener/allotment holder with space for a big compost heap VERY HAPPY if you offer to let them take it all....

Back