• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

strange behaviour! help!!

sezzalee

Warren Scout
Hiya!
Ive not been on the forum very long and have had some good advice about my bunny who has snuffles, but ive been home today for lunch to see him like i do every day, and over the past few days he hasnt seemed to be doing much, but spending a lot of time in his bed, he is an outdoor bunny, but he has a scratch and newton hutch cover thing to cover him with when it rains, and when i put that down if it rains he's nearly always out and hopping his hutch and now he's just not interested.

I bought him a load of new toys the other day to entertain him, but he doesnt seem interested in them either, im woried he is lonely, but because he has snuffles I cant really adopt another bunny because then they will contract it and it will be crazy trying to care for both of them. It looks like he is eating as well, but doesnt seem to be as much as he used too.

Any ideas what could be up with him??

Is he eating OK? If not, he could have bloat/GI Stasis and will need to see a vet.

Is he moulting? Sometimes this can make bunnies a bit under par.

Yeah he has been moulting for a while now, he just seems tired or bored whenever he is in the hutch, and when he comes out, unless one of us is in the garden with him he doesnt run around that much he just sits udner his hutch or under something. Not sure if its loneliness?

Im worried about it being that because I cant get him a companion now and see if they will bond because of his snuffles. dont no wot to do, :(

I know other rabbits who had snuffles were bonded with a rabbit who had snuffles already.. so thats always an option ;)

Difficult one that, I don't really know much about snuffles. Can it ever be cured? Is it contagious?

If it is incurable, would it be possible/advisable to rehome him with another rabbit with the same problem?

With regards to the moulting, I find that papaya tablets from Oxbow works wonders.

hmm, would that not mean two lots of snuffles treatments though? it drives me crazy going to the vets nearly every weekend to get him checked.

Could he be in pain of some sort? Have his teeth been checked by a vet? If he's quieter than normal and 'not himself' maybe the vet should check him over? :?

thats what I was thinking!! But ive checked his teeth and they seem ok, but do you think I should take him to the vets? I might give them a ring.

thats what I was thinking!! But ive checked his teeth and they seem ok, but do you think I should take him to the vets? I might give them a ring.

It's very difficult to check the molars yourself - the vet usually needs to do this. Spurs on the molars can cause pain and make the bunny quiet (I had dental buns and this was the sign of a problem).

Of course, the teeth may be fine, but if I was you, I'd get the vet to have a look - there's obviously some reason why he's quiet. Good luck :)

Ahhh, i didnt think about that, i was just looking at the front ones!! ooo shows how lacking I am in knowledge!! I'll give them a ring and then let you no!

yes thats him, when we first got him home, he just laid very close to the floor surverying everything took him a while to start hoping about!! LOL. 12 weeks old when we got him.

Back