• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Supreme Carefresh, metazorb or plain old woodshavings?

bunny_scabbit

Warren Scout
can i get some advice/opinions please? i currently use plain old wood shavings for my buns litter tray and toilet area in his indoor cage, but i have been reading about metazorb and carefresh. can anyone advise what the difference is and whether you would reccommend changing from woodshavings?

I have just changed over from wood shaving to carefresh, it's great but really expensive for three buns with a big litter tray. I have heard magazorb is cheaper so might try that.

I personally don't use woodshavings for any of my pets anymore as research shows that it affects the way the liver works. I'm not sure there's any specific literature that says it's definately harmful but there's enough doubt that I don't want to take the risk. I use a shredded cardboard bedding called Ecopetbed (there's also similar products, SafeTBed, Andy B Bedding, Ecopet, to name a few) as it's cheap and comes in nice big bales which last a while.

I'm biased..I use Megazorb. Not only is it more absorbent than woodshavings and carefresh, It's only about a fiver for a big 80litre sack!:lol: :lol:

Am I the only one disappointed in the size of the "sack" of Megazorb then? :oops: I thought it was pretty small when I bought it in the past, though it is definately cheaper than Carefresh

I've tried all and I've gone back to woodshavings. I cover mine with hay and although I've heard about phenols and woodshavings, they seem to work ok.

They are easy to find, cheap and pretty absorbant. That said, if I had an indoor cage, I'd probably use carefresh because it really absorbs the smell. Alternately, you could use Bio-Catolet, which is a cat litter safe for animals and that is pretty good for absorbing smells too.

I've tried all and I've gone back to woodshavings. I cover mine with hay and although I've heard about phenols and woodshavings, they seem to work ok.

They are easy to find, cheap and pretty absorbant. That said, if I had an indoor cage, I'd probably use carefresh because it really absorbs the smell. Alternately, you could use Bio-Catolet, which is a cat litter safe for animals and that is pretty good for absorbing smells too.

that's interesting cos although we use woodshavings we do not have any smells, just alot of mess! which im hoping to cut down on. i have to hoover twice a day!

I would recommend megazorb. It's highly absorbent, and less likely to cause allergies than wood shavings. I cover mine up well with straw and hay though, as my vet once told me that my buns were eating it (it was in their poo). I think they were eating it accidentally with the hay, so I don't take any chances now.

Carefresh is the same as megazorb only in smaller packs.

carefresh is also in bigger "bits" than megazorb

We sell both so take a look

We did sell carefresh in 50L packs but it was still quite expensive compared with megazorb. we will have it back in stock when we have moved units.

Back