• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Horrible accident last night..

Abbi

New Kit
First off hello all, I'm new to the board. I've been a lurker for a bit, just enjoying pics of everyones buns but have never posted.

I've had my dwarf lop Scampie for almost 6 years now, shes a house rabbit.

We've had a very sad time recently, and to top everything off are in the process of moving into our first house which has been a bit of an added stress. I spent all yesterday packing and Scamp was very curious and excited about all the comotion and was round and under my feet all day. We've moved twice before in the space of a year so I don't know if she knew what was happening, or if thats just silly...

When it was time for me to leave for work I sat down to put my shoes on, she darted forward towards me with her nose out and I sat on her face. I heard a sickening crunch and my partner yelled.

She took herself into a dark corner and when I tried to get at her she ran upstairs to her room and balled herself up on her duvet. She started shutting her eyes and seemed really distressed. I tired to look at her but was frightened if she had broken something I might hurt her even more. We took her straight to the emergency vets.

She has lost a lower inscissor, the vet had a good look at her and said she was unable to see that anything else was broken or fractured but administed 2 types of painkillers (that would cover her for the next 24 hours), given liquid food and recommended an X-ray when we see our vet in the morning. When we brought her home we put her down and she found a stray rabbit pellet on the floor that she picked up and ate.

This morning we took her to the vet and she was given a check over but told although there is nothing obvious to see that doesn't mean that there isn't a chip or fracture to the jaw. We were more or less told because of the risk in putting her under it would be better to see how she is eating/ behaving and monitor her with view to bring her in again Thursday or next day if shes not eating. Iw as pretty confident she would eat.

Since bringing her home this morning shes just stayed in her room all day laid on her blanket. Shes never been given painkillers before, so I can't tell if its that or that shes hurting. Shes got up about three times and moved round only to return to the blanket and shut her eyes. She usually goes crazy for her food but is disinterested, when she does eat its just one or two pellets, or she just mouths at them without picking them up.

Its aweful seeing her like this. I feel so so guilty about it all and am just so so worried, after everything we've been through recently we were hoping the final move would mean something possitive. I don't know what we'd do if Scamp wasn't coming with us.

I know alot of you have lots of bunny experiance has anyone been had anything similar happen? I just need to know things are going to be ok..

I'm sorry to hear about Scamp's accident, I don't have any advice other than it sounds to me as if she's still in pain and from the knowledge I've gained from here I'd say she needs an x-ray, more painkillers and a gut stimulant if she's stopping eating as, as you probably know, it's really important that rabbit's guts don't stop working.

Sending healing vibes to Scamp

Kathryn x

I'd agree with kayjay: it sounds as though she's still very uncomfortable :( If the painkillers she was given at the vet are due to be wearing off, then I'd call them and find out about getting her some more, at least so that she's able to eat and keep her guts moving. I'm by no means as experienced as some of the owners on here though, hopefully someone will be along soon who can provide some better advice.

I really feel for you :( Sending healing vibes to you both xx

Aw! Really sorry about ur bunny!:( :( It does sound like she is in pain though, so would suggest going back to the vet, especially if she not eating... But don't beat yourself up about it, accidents happen, my Guinea fell from my mums arms once, to the floor and he was paralysed, but with love and care he made a full recovery.... I sure your bunny will be back to health soon!:)

What an awful thing to happen..you must be feeling dreadful. I would take her back to the vet again. Was an xray done? It may well be that she is just in pain and still slightly shocked but as has been said already it's important that she keeps eating. Thinking about you and keeping my fingers crossed that she'll soon be better.

Goodness what a nasty accident :cry:
I too think Scampie may be in some discomfort. Also, the shock of the accident may have caused her gut motility to slow down. Stress of kind causes as physiological response in Bunnies which makes their GI tract shut down. So maybe Scampie also needs some medication to get her tum working again.
Does she feel unusually cold to the touch? Shock and pain make it difficult for a Bun to maintain their body temperature. So she may need heat therapy too.

Hopefully your Vet will be able to get Scampie feeling more comfortable very soon.

Janex

How awful, but dont beat yourself up, accidents happen and its obvious she is well looked after, at least you took her straight to the vet. Really hope she makes a full swift recovery. Oh, hello and welcome too.:wave:

What a horrible experience, for you and Scampie.

I agree with others, I'd pop her back to the vet. Is it possible for them to x ray her without knocking her out? I know it is usual to give bunnies a GA but if she is not moving much, they may be able to do one without.

Please don't feel guilty. I didn't realise that my Inky had broken his toe earlier on in the year until he had been limping for over 24 hours (prey animals are good at covering up their injuries). I felt so guilty but you can't beat yourself up forever, the rest of the world can do that for you!

Take care and lots of healing vibes

FC xx

Thats awful! I cringed when I read that. They can be so quick at times jumping about.
Hope your bunny is alright. x:(

This is our worst nightmare. Squidgy has been know to run under our feet/ stand at the top of the stairs/ generally get in the way. As careful as you try to be accidents can and do happen.
Hope Scamp gets better soon. Try her with some tasty herbs, carrot tops are fave here, and a snugglesafe (or hot water bottle covered with a towel - be careful she doesn't chew!). Do you have a blanket she can snuggle into?
You can give the vets a call, and they often give advice over the 'phone.

Thanks guys for all the words and advice, She is doing much better in herself and her personality is coming back, she started eating a little after I posted yesterday afternoon. She is eating with enthusiasm but can only manage pellets softened with water. If I give her hard pellets she gets very excited over them but seems unable or frightened to actually pick them up and crunch them.

After phoning the vets for a chat I decided to make the decision to not take her yesterday. I was told feeding her as I'm doing (softened pellets) would be fine and not to worry about that. Anyone have any other opinions about this?

The reason I felt I just couldn't take her was that she had been twice in the space of twelve hours. It just wasn't fair to take her again when it was clear that the visits right ontop of the accident were stressing her out, not to the point where she was in danger but to the point that she wasn't herself and we were worried.

She is much much brighter this morning, which makes me think that I did the right thing yesterday. We are going to the vets first thing this morning and I am really going to try to push for an X-ray, so cross your fingers for us. I promise I will keep you all updated but it might be I don't want to tempt fate sometimes by saying anything so bear with me.

Thanks again all X

She may be finding the lost tooth a bit uncomfortable which is poss why she is favouring the softened pellets. The fact that her appetite is back is definately a good sign! I had a bun trip up a ramp and knock her two front teeth, they bled and were wobbly but she had a pain killer for a couple of days, grated carrot and apple and softened pellets and in about a week the gums healed up and she was back to her normal clumsy self. :D

Sounds like she's going to get better :D If you imagine what we'd feel like after having a tooth punched out, we'd feel a bit tender too - I doubt anyone would want a steak to eat after that! I'm sure she'll feel much better in a week, although she may demand softened pellets and grated veg for much longer. Can she manage to eat hay at all?

Pleased to see that she's eating now, I had a GI stasis scare with Charlie quite recently when his fur was moulting. I have a brush but it doesn't seem to do much good are grooming mits any better to dislodge the loose fur? I'd been at work all day so only noticed when I got home and felt awful. I called the vets and they said they'd see him first thing in the morning which worried me-is this normal, shouldn't they have seen him straight away? Luckily he didn't need to go to the vets, I kept giving him a solution to assist his digestion from a feeding syringe and at 5am he was tempted by some weetabix. It's so scary when they stop eating. Don't blame yourself it was an accident. Best wishes to you both.

Update, not good news

More news on my Scamper, not good news I'm afraid chaps. I'm so happy she had the X-Ray, now at least I know whats going on. I wish I had pushed harder for an X-Ray when we took her Monday. So she has a fracture in the left hand side of her jaw right by her back teeth.

When she was out for the X- Ray and her muscles were relaxed they were able to detect movement of the bone by feeling her jaw and the X-Ray showed the fracture. The X-Ray also indicated that the tooth where she sustained the fracture was "slightly infected", which is probably why it happened where it did. Also she has the type of teeth that aren't great anyway, the horrible spurrey sort.

She has always had runny eyes which I understand can be an indication of tooth infection, her eyes definately cleared up alot recently, her right eye stabilised and was perfect and the tears disapeared. Since the fracture both eyes have become teary again obviously because of the tooth connection. I don't really know where we go from here. If anyone has any advice, experiance or information as always it will be greatly appreciated.

She will be on mashed pellets and painkillers until shes healed

Hope Scamp gets on the mend soon and sending vibes

They are terrible little things for getting underneath your feet. My Archie circled my feet at least 30 times in one go just the other night (and he is neutered :shock: ) and I literally couldn't move for him

Fiona x

I'm so sorry to hear about Scampie but it wasn't your fault - they are such little devils for getting under your feet:(

I have had some experience in this - our beloved Tilly-Mint (now ATB :() sustained a fracture to her jaw after being stood on accidently. This happened at the rescue she was in - her carer was stepping over her gate and Tilly-Mint ran from under the hutch and right under the carers foot:shock: It all happened so quickly there was nothing could be done about it :( The carer was distraught and thought that she had killed Tilly-Mint :(

Tilly-Mint had an x-ray done of the jaw and it was found to be broken :( Her jaw had to be wired shut to heal it and she was syringe fed for 6 weeks:shock: She was given painkiller for the pain and then for any inflammation - this helped her greatly and she was also given fluids orally to make sure she never got dehydrated.

I don't know if your vets think it's any good to actually wire Scampie's jaw or to let it heal naturally:? As long as Scampie is getting mushed up pellets and really tiny pieces of veg then she should be fine - but she must continue with the pain relief and make sure that she can drink - or syringe her fluids for her.

Tilly-Mint was left with a tooth that didn't meet properly any more due to the accident so needed a dental on that particular tooth about every 5/6 months.

Tilly-Mint lived for another 3 years after her accident and it was cancer that actually took her from us:cry: :cry: :cry: She was a very independent and strong little girl and was loved greatly by us here :) I hope that Scampie has that same determination and heals quickly - sending healing and positive vibes to her - xxxxx

Really hope that Scamp heals quickly. She's in the best possible hands, I'm sure, and will get lots of love.

Back