• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Consultation Fees?!

charl343

Warren Scout
Me and my mum were just talking and...what is a consultation fee? Like do you have to pay it each time you go? I assume when its a new problem you would but, I took Paddy a couple of weeks ago because of his baldness and they gave him creme however this hasnt worked so Im going to take him back. Do I pay the consultation fee again!? hmm
Not that I wouldnt pay it if I have to, Im just randomly wondering!!!

I don't think I did at my old vets (apart from the initial one) but they make me at the new one :( assuming we're talking about vets consultation fees? :? :lol:

Most vets charge a consultation fee for the initial consult but generally for follow up treatment for the same problem you just pay for the treatment/medication.

Su.x

Be careful though coz sometimes it can depend on the vet you see. Ask to see the vet you saw last time, when Shadow (dog) had diarrhoea i saw 2 different vets and coz i saw a different vet the 2nd time he charged me a consult fee again, i did argue it but to no avail :cry: and at £25 a throw for a dog, i felt it! x Jess

Our vet charges a consult fee of £7 if no medication is needed. If medication is needed eg baytril or vaccination then we just get charged for that. On the occassions when we have been asked to return in 2 weeks for a check up and no further meds are needed we havent been charged.

Maria

Just moving this for you as you might get more answers in rabbit chat :)

If I remember rightly, my vet just tends to do the same as Neil's.

Last edited:
Our vet charges a consult fee of £7 if no medication is needed. If medication is needed eg baytril or vaccination then we just get charged for that.

I reckon it would be worth moving house for that - stamp duty and all!!! :lol:

Mine charge £18.50 and that's the cheapest round here, and like others have said the vets make up the charges so if you see a different vet for the same problem they charge it again and sometimes they do if it's the same vet.

I was chatting to a woman at the vets yesterday, long queue!, and she said she thought the government should get involved with vets to stop them charging what they like and get some common ground for it. Sounds likea good idea in principle but they'd probably want a cut and we'd end up paying more!! :roll:

hmmmm it's a bit hap hazad at mine too, what I tend to do with a new bun that comes in and has a problem, I ring up and book for a vaccination, which is no consulatation, when I'm there I say "oh do you mind checking out such and such" it works nearly everytime :oops: :lol:

We have to pay consultation every time at my vets it gets reduced slightly each time but still very steep :shock:

hmmmm it's a bit hap hazad at mine too, what I tend to do with a new bun that comes in and has a problem, I ring up and book for a vaccination, which is no consulatation, when I'm there I say "oh do you mind checking out such and such" it works nearly everytime :oops: :lol:

:lol: :lol: I do that too!! :oops: :oops: Tammy is going in for her myxi jab and while she's there I'm going to ask them to check her teeth are ok as she had to have them rasped when she had her spay. :D

went today with paddy, had to see a different vet but they just told me again it was nothing and to wait a couple of week to see if his fur re grows, anyway it cost me £13.50 consultation for them to tell me its nothing! Better than me worrying tho!

The initial consult is £22 but if treatment is required its free then any follow up is also free except for treatment.

I get teeth checked when they are under for neutering as its then covered by the neutering cost :oops: but otherwise we have to pay.

went today with paddy, had to see a different vet but they just told me again it was nothing and to wait a couple of week to see if his fur re grows, anyway it cost me £13.50 consultation for them to tell me its nothing! Better than me worrying tho!

has your bunny had his jabs recently? preston gets a lump after his jabs which the develops into a scabby bald patch (hence SCABBIT, scabby rabbit :lol: ) but his fur eventually grows back!

I'm glad its not just me moaning about this, I took my dog to the vet today, she's had diarrhea for a couple of days, the consultation was £25, thats for around 3-4 mins chatting!! With the meds on top, it came to a couple of pence short of £50.:? I thought to myself on the way home, "appointments are for 10 mins, thats £150 per hour"......nice work if you can get it lol!

Some people call it brainwashing but I call it gentle persuasion: I bought my 2 little daughters (2 and 4) a vet set, and a lovely Animal Hospital set from Ebay and I'm encouraging them NOT to play doctors and nurses, but vets and pets.... thinking ahead I am!:lol:

the vet i went to yesterday charged me about £20 each for a check up for my two, but that included myxi jabs so i thought that was ok

Back