• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Arguments for indoor buns

Ben's mum

Warren Veteran
Not long after my stepdad moved in, I had to move my animals out - yes, I'm almost 20 but I live at home still so what the 'rents say goes. My mum claimed to be allergic and said they set off her sinus problems but for some strange reason when she didn't know I'd sneaked some back in, her sinuses were fine :lol: :roll: I understand that my stepdad doesn't really "believe" in caged animals (though is OK with the concept of pets dogs..) but I want to wangle having the buns indoors as bedroom bunnies when they're bonded.
I originally had a "one cage indoors" rule so think I may be able to swing it but wanted some ideas on how to argue for it.
Hay being spread everywhere is a major problem - if one speck of hay trails indoors with me after visiting the buns then I get nagged for it. What's the best way to keep it in one place? I generally put Ben's in his litter tray and it stays there but Rose drags it everywhere. I'm thinking of an indoor cage as a base (but permanently open) so I could keep the hay in there to keep it contained I suppose.
What about noise too? I'm probably going to have laminate flooring when my room is redecorating so imagine that may be a bit noisy. MY stepdad is the lightest sleeper so what can I do to minimise claw scratching and thumps?
Also keeping the smell down - my mum doesn't get the idea that animals have their own odours (despite being used to years of wet dog smell downstairs - the joy of a longhaired dog who loves rain :roll: :lol: ) so I'd have to keep it uberfresh smelling.
Any other tips would be appreciated - whenever I bunsit and she stays in here or my buns come indoors for a while (Ben's in while he recovers from his neuter) I just love having them around all the time and I really miss having animals in my room.

I'm afraid the simplest answer is move out. I don't want that to sound harsh and I'm sure rents are awfully high your way but it is their house :( . I know a number of people on the forum living at home are lucky enough to have parents who enjoy the interaction with a rabbit and accept them being indoors but "what they say goes" applies here. Sorry.

Neil

I agree, either move out, save up to move out, and leave the rabbits outside for now. My OH doesn't like animal smells in the house and is also to hay so I accept that for us the right solution is the rabbits outside. If I lived alone I would have a house rabbit but I don't so I have to consider the OH's wishes also

Who is Rose?????? PICCIES!!!!! I say keep nagging and nagging and turn on the water works if that dont work ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've just recently brought my 2 bunnies indoors. I would have to say that there is definitely a lot of mess (hay everywhere, no matter how much you try to contain it), and a bit of a smell, so... not sure this is the answer for you, in my view.

i clean my three daily, and if ive company coming twice daily, plus disinfect cages yet they still have a slight pong, plus they can be noisey at time and very messy.but on the other side ive learnt more about them since the,ve been in.

I've been looking at moving out for ages but I just can't afford it. It's over half my wages to stay in a single bedroom in a 2/3 bed flat with other people (flatshare) and it's not as if I'm on horrifically bad wages (earn more than my stepdad)
I know it's their house, their rules (well actually we all contribute to housekeeping, financially and with chores) which is why I'm going to ask rather than demand. As said, I got told I was allowed one cage in here (I just made the decision to move them all out while I was decorating, which has stretched on a bit longer than expected!) so technically I'd be allowed them but I'm not sure how they'd react to freerange buns rather than caged rats like I'd originally planned. To be honest it'd be an improvement from the amount of animals I used to have in here!
And Rose is my gorgeous freeads litter bun - shall post a photo once I'm back from hospital or I'll be lte

Oh yes I cleaned my indoor buns everyday but there is always a smell, not so much mess as I found the cage I have was much better than a dog crate for controlling mess, but there is always a smell and if your parents dont like this well theres not a good chance they will remain indoors

I've been looking at moving out for ages but I just can't afford it. It's over half my wages to stay in a single bedroom in a 2/3 bed flat with other people (flatshare) and it's not as if I'm on horrifically bad wages (earn more than my stepdad)
I know it's their house, their rules (well actually we all contribute to housekeeping, financially and with chores) which is why I'm going to ask rather than demand. As said, I got told I was allowed one cage in here (I just made the decision to move them all out while I was decorating, which has stretched on a bit longer than expected!) so technically I'd be allowed them but I'm not sure how they'd react to freerange buns rather than caged rats like I'd originally planned. To be honest it'd be an improvement from the amount of animals I used to have in here!
And Rose is my gorgeous freeads litter bun - shall post a photo once I'm back from hospital or I'll be lte

YUP we need a piccie :D :D :D

I guess it depends how sensitive your parents' noses are! I clean the litter tray once or twice a day, and find the smell less than my mice produce. So, if they are happy with rats, they might not object to the smell of the bunnies if regularly cleaned?

I guess it depends how sensitive your parents' noses are! I clean the litter tray once or twice a day, and find the smell less than my mice produce. So, if they are happy with rats, they might not object to the smell of the bunnies if regularly cleaned?

I agree, it's a bit more work, but the smell is negligable if cleaned regularly. I only have 1, so there isn't that much mess, but if you keep the hay to a confined area, this should help.

Maybe ask them for a trial period of say, a month, this'll give the folks a chance to see how it works. :D

I also agree that the most effective solution would be to move out. I live on my own, I'm 24, and I love having my bun in the house with me. But there are downsides, having to leave him alone in the house to go to work breaks my heart every morning! :cry:

So seeing as you can't move out and your pezzas have said you can have one cage in your room, I say bring them back in. At first keep their run around time to just a few hours a night, then gradually start leaving the cage open longer and longer, until they become freerange, hopefully your parents won't even notice! Sly, but it could work.

With regards the hay everywhere you'll just have to be carefull not to spread it over the house from your room. Plus it's your room, I can't see what the problem is if the mess is confined to your own space. Perhaps invest in a handheld vacuum and do a quick once over every day :D

Good luck with it... just keep saving, you'll get there and have a house full of bunnies one day!!!

sorry to say this but move out. i left home at 19 purely because i felt that i would get on much better with my stepdad out of their home. you might contribute towards bills (and yes i too earn more than my stepdad) but it is their house. i can see that keeping indoor bunnies would cause a lot of problems.

house rabbits are messy - i sometimes get so frustrated cleaning up after my lot, and theres always a bit of hay that you've missed. and litter trays can stink horrendous even if you do clean them out meticulously every day. i have to say that i wouldnt even consider them as indoor pets if i lived at home.

you will always find that once you move out a high proportion of your wage goes on rent & bills - i am sure that it comprises more than 50% of most peoples income - i think im lucky if on a good month i have £100 left out of my wage for myself, once bills & pets are sorted. but its much better having your own place :)

good luck though with whatever you do

you will always find that once you move out a high proportion of your wage goes on rent & bills - i am sure that it comprises more than 50% of most peoples income - i think im lucky if on a good month i have £100 left out of my wage for myself, once bills & pets are sorted. but its much better having your own place :)

When I got my first place, after paying my bills, I had £8 per month left. I had to get 2 part time jobs just to eat:lol:

I wasn't allowed pets at all at Mum & Dad's - now I currently have 22 buns indoors! You should see their faces, & I own this house!:lol:

I'll echo the finances - our mortgage alone is half my OH's wages then there's the bills, food, etc etc. You don't have money left over for anything but believe me it'll be worth it :)

The money isn't the only issue - if I moved out it'd mean rehoming my dog as I couldn't afford a place with a garden, it'd have to be a share (definately couldn't afford a place on my own) and I couldn't leave her at home for 8+ hours with strangers (she gets seperation anxiety and has hip dysplacia which makes her a bit wary of strangers as usually it's the vets checking her hips which obviously hurts her). Also the other animals take up a fair bit of my wages and to move out for selfish reasons would infringe on their care which I'm not prepared to do.
I'm not asking for advice on whether I should move out, just tips of talking them into letting the buns indoors. I know they might say no but I'm not going to move out just to have the buns indoors - they're perfectly happy outside but I like having them indoors so if I can achieve that then I would like to so I just wanted some tips

I think you should leave them where they are. You say they are happy outside, your folks are happy they are outside...2 out of 3 isn't bad, and you do have your dog indoors.:lol:

Yer, I say leave them outdoors if they are happy, as that is all that really matters. Maybe you could ask your mum and step dad if you can have them in a little at a time just to give the buns the attention they need. That way they are not LIVING in the house, just visiting :D

Back