• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

wanting a baby bun ?

LucyJK

Warren Scout
With the exception of the late Esmee Ive always had rescue bunnies as I felt it was far better to rehome an unwanted animal then encourage more breeders. However since the death of Esmee I need to get another friend for Eli.
I would really like a baby bun to be Elis new pal (is this even an option seeing as he is 2yrs old ?)
It feels morally wrong as all my pets including Eli are rescues !

If I was to get a baby bun (I particulay would like a dutch like Esmee) where would i even look for a nice breeder ?

Any help or advice/opinions welcomed !

Lucy

How about a baby from a rescue from when pregnant does are taken in? Our local rspca had some baby buns not too long ago. :) I'm no expert but are you going to wait a bit just to make sure your bun isn't contagious?

How about getting a baby bun from a rescue. People tend to get the impression you don't get babies in rescue but rescues often take in pregnant mum's then they have a litter to rehome :)

That way you get the best of both worlds :) As he's a boy (and presumably neutered) then a baby should be okay as you can get her spayed while she's living with him. You wouldn't need to separate.

Look at these cuties!
rabbit_9227.jpg

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=9227

That might be a bit far from you tho :(

This is a 8 week old baby, bit closer but not a dutch: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=9235

Bobtails rescue centre have loads of baby dutches and more on the way as they resued a a load from a breeder recently, they still have some babies left and more are pregnant!

Hiya the vet says he def hasnt got myxi (thankgod) as it would have shown more symtons by now as is such a fast acting disease.

those dutches are soooo cute. I will phone up some local rescues about babies buns as I just didnt think they got them.

Yes Eli is neatured and is actually a very placid rabbit, although due to his past he doesnt like to be handled hence why I would like a baby bun so I can at least stroke them with out completely stressing them out !

Inky is a Dutch Dwarf X and he was only 8 weeks old when I adopted him from the rescue.

There are far more young rabbits in rescues then I think most people realise. I got Smokey at 5 months but she'd been in the rescue since she was a baby.

Back