• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eli's not eating ! poss pining ? - update

LucyJK

Warren Scout
UPDATE: Im takling Eli to the vets at 3:10 this afternoon
so fingers crossed !

Esmee was pts after contracting myxi (see other thread) last Wed and since then Eli is not eating - anything !
all his pellets are still there as is all his greens etc..

I dont think he has got myxi afterall and just think its coincedence that his eye was runny so possibly he is pining ?

any advice greatly appreciated

Lucy

Last edited:
Oh dear, I don't know what to suggest. Hopefully someone who has experienced a greiving bunny will be able to help you.:(

If he hasn't eaten anything since last Wednesday then he urgently needs to see a vet - are you sure he's not even eaten hay?

he doesnt eat hay ! Ive given up buying it now that Esmee is not in there as he has never has eaten hay for some reason. I iwll phone the vet tomorrow morning for advice i think.

Do you know if he's been drinking at all? If you are sure he's had nothing to eat since Wednesday then he needs urgent vet treatment as his guts will have come to a standstill, he will probably be in pain and getting dehydrated :( How is he behaving? Is he lively or just sitting mostly? I'm not sure how you feed Eli - if you just give him a huge pile of food once a week he's maybe eaten a bit but it's not as noticeable as when Esmee was there too - could that be it? Does he even have hay for bedding? They can be very fussy with hay if it's stuff from pet shops - farms and markets usually have nicer hay that's green. Is he kept on grass and eating that? Sorry for all the questions I'm just worried about him starving.

Last edited:
My rabbit Munch did nothing but mope around the house all day after his partner Nibbles died, he had very little interest in his food & stopped eating his hay which he previously loved. Although I wasnt ready I went ahead & found a new partner for him & it worked. He bonded with her & is now a happy bunny once again. Having a new bun in the house helped us all (both human & bunny) to move on

Now you say, I do remember having to force Benny to eat when Pepsi died - I sat in the shed with him and batted him around the nose with grass and dandelions - he was just in some trance of misery it seemed. Eventually he got annoyed and grabbed the grass off me and ate it, then he was fine. You must never let a bunny starve even a day, or they can get liver damage or stasis, both of which can be fatal.

Is Eli a house bun? If so you could try what i did. I sat next to Munch for hours every day & stroked him as if I was Nibbles grooming him. At the same time I placed his favourite foods & treats in front of him & encouraged him to eat something. Good luck with Eli

Normally they would get pellets every evening and fresh greens and other veg in the morning along with a fresh refill of hay every couple of days (they aways have a contant supply of hay available)

they are bedded on shredded paper and their run is on paving slabs due to digging out !

my god Im still talking as if Esmee is still alive myself !!

Esmee would greet me very morning for her greens and likewise a dinnertime for he pellets - she loved her food !!

Eli never really shows any interes in much anyway and tends to avoid human contact where ever possible (probably due to his past) so its difficult to see if es behaving ay different all i kow is the green are still there every day and the pellets havnt gone done either. Hes not drinking much either.

Im going to call the vets tomorrow morning

Have you tried tempting him with something sweet? Like banana or a strawberry? when mine are post op if they won't eat I offer them Hipp's baby food from a jar, mostly because its easy to syringe feed :lol: But it is very sweet and it does tempt them. Maybe he needs something like this to kick start his appetite again??!! I have one bun who is on farleys powder baby food as she has no teeth, and the others are always squabbling to finish what she leaves, so maybe try that too. good luck. maybe he just needs a new bun wife? x Jess

Back