• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter tray thrown

toadflaxbex

Warren Scout
My bunny has a corner litter tray, at the moment he is being kept in doors as has just been neutered. Anyway his litter tray gets cleaned out at least once a day if not more. Every morning I go down to him and he has thrown it across his cage. Litter, poo and wee everywhere and a pile of poo in place of the litter tray.
Do you think he is just bored and throws it about, or do you think he doesn't want to go in it once he thinks it is full?

I've never had a bunny who would use a corner litter tray. The large rectangular or square ones are better. Pile them up with hay, and your bunny will soon get the hang of it.

Also...don't put any litter type bedding down on the floor of his cage, or this will confuse him. Use fleece, towels or blankets instead.

My bunny did the same with the corner tray.
Bought a rectangular one and she doesn,t throw that about:lol: :lol:

Hey, atm he has vet bed in his cage, and I use Carefresh litter in the tray. He has used the litter tray fine up until just recently. He took to it straight away so I would say he has been using it for about 3 months. Just since he has been neutered, every evening he flings it across the cage. He is using it as I have seen wee and poo in it. I am wondering if he doesn't want to use it once he has been to the toilet in it, as it seems that he throws it across the room and then goes to the toilet in its place.

is it the small corner litter tray..straight edge approx. 8 inches?
if so get the larger one..We prefer to use the larger corner trays..straight edge approx. 15 inches.. as they take up less space than a square one and the buns don't pee over the edge..

the small ones do seem to be seen a as a toy!

Out of those...I'd get the Hi-bac square one.

If you just want something cheap, try Wilkos...their largest size is only about £3.

One of my bunnies throws about the big square hi backed ones. She's a strong little madam! Every time I clean it out I put it back in the corner but she re-arranges it as soon as I leave the room. She likes having it in the middle of her living room! :lol:

Or get one of these storage boxes from Wilkinsons - Maa has tried to throw it around, but she didn't get very far - She loves lying in it too and it fits in her hutch now she's outside (and yes they do it in blue for boys, with a football on the side too :D )

goodside.jpg

blue and billy always move their poo trays. They have a corner tray in 2 corners of the sheds. They move them and then sit behind them:? .

Pippa just chucks all the pellets out of her tray, hoping that when she has her op she might stop?.

Back