• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

whats wrong advice needed ....

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
Tommy is a 10 week old baby lionhead,he was grinding his teeth on thursday and i also noticed he hadnt eaten overnight so i took him to the vets he was given an antibiotic,gut stimulant, painrelief, was sent home and was told to syringe feed him which i did by friday he still wasnt eating or going to the toilet so the vet decided to admit him so they could repeat treatment more regularly The vet has phoned this morning to say there is no more they can do for him, he,s eaten hay and is being syringe fed but is not pooing at all which means he hasnt bn to the toilet since friday.
The vet has given me 2 options 1- put him to sleep OR 2- send him home to see if change of environment helps him.
He,s so bright but is still grinding his teeth his teeth have bn checked and are fine
Im picking him up at lunch time any suggestions of other treatment we could try to get him through this
he needs as many get well vibes as possible please....
the vet has suggested maybe his insides arnt as they should be but surely we,d of found thatv out before now

Have they done xrays, to see if there`s a blockage?
I wouldn`t be happy about them sending him home without discovering the cause. If there`s food going in there must be a reason it`s not passing through.

Su.x

As he is only 10 weeks old I suspect he has some sort of gut dysbiosis (inbalanace of bad gut bacteria)
Has your Vet been administering medication continuously? If so do you know what ?
What was bun being fed before becoming poorly? Had any new foods been introduced?
Has the Vet said Bun is bloated? If so has your Vet got access to Prepulsid (Cisipride) Vets need to apply for a special licence in order to obtain Prepulsid but it is very effective.
I would say as Bun is still bright then maybe with more intensive treatment he may recover.
Without knowing what your Vet can feel in Bun's abdomen its hard to say what may be helpful. But if the stomach is bloated Prepulsid, Pain Relief and Probiotics may be beneficial. If poo can be felt in the guts then maybe a laxative such as Milpar may help.

All of the above my UNQUALIFIED personal opinion.

Janex

Last edited:
Back