• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Broccoli

toadflaxbex

Warren Scout
I noticed on another thread in a different section that someone fed their rabbit broccoli. May I ask, can you give the whole stem including head and stalk and how much?

brocolli is a prime cause of wind, so never give a lot of it - just a tiny bit of the head, about as big as a golf ball. If they haven't had it before then give them a smaller piece than that even - over 2 weeks you can build up the amount slowly, but still I never give more than a golf ball sized piece.

Bertie loves a bit of Broccolli, the stem is supposed to be good for wearing down teeth, so he has that too :D

Yeah I give it daily - it's not so good for them to have stuff occasionally as they never get used to digesting it well.

Cool thank you. Just wanted to give him something different to gnaw on. He eats carrot leaves, but not the carrot. He has the baked sweet corn, but wanted to find more greens to give him. So will try him on broccoli later. Thanks guys

:) you can also try spring greens (not cabbage), dandelion leaves, parsley (flat & curly-small amounts) kale and califlower leaves, all small amounts

This is one of those things where you read different opinions, and I'm sure that more experienced members may be able to give you a definate answer on this, but I have been told that cabbage contains an enzyme that can be harmful to buns, and spring greens do not have it, so are safe.

I'm playing safe and not feeding cabbage. Iceburg lettuce is the other one you should avoid.

Here's some links that may help you with food
The HRS (USA) http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/diet/foods.html

and the RWA (UK) - who do say cabbage is ok...confusing isn't it?
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/feeding.htm

:)

I give mine broccoli about 2-3 times a week, plus I give either kale, spring greens or savoy cabbage.... never lettuce, cos of the bad effects they have, mine adore carrot tops... but so hard to find!!:shock:

I guess that it depends what type of cabbage they are talking about.

There is the hard dense white or red stuff (you find in things like coleslaw), and the large more leafy green stuff (that my nan used to boil for Sunday roast).

I have fed mind the large green leafy stuff before, but only the darker outer leaves, not had any problems. Although tend not to now in favour of "spring greens".

I also feed brocalli (or calabrese as it's also called). They get the stem as well as the head. Proportionally they get more stem as that effectively what's left over when my mum cooks it! They like both!

Han

I've always given mine cabbage, but just the dark green leaves as they don't like the white ones.

With ANY new veg though, just give a tiny piece, as big as a postage stamp, on day one, then nothing on day 2, then another tiny piece on day 3, and so on, gradually building up the portion size over 2 weeks. This gives the digestive bacteria time to build up sufficiently.

I agree, The darker the leaves the more Deej likes them and any part of broccoli makes him happy!

This week I got a fab pack of veg (reduced in Morrisons) for Deej. It contains Spring greens, (dark) cabbage and broccoli! :D :D :D

hi, i have just found this site to chat and i'm finding it interesting.
we feed our bunny brussel sprouts, carrot, brocoli and apple in smalll portions every day. we have tried feeding other things but he doesn't like them, he is very fussy. it was funny when we gave him a strawberry, he just didn't know what to make of it!
my vets website does advise that kale & spinach should be given in small quantities but are toxic if given over a period of time.

according to rabbitlopedia excessive cabbage can cause goite (i haven't got the book with me and can't remeber is it was spelt like the grumpy old man who ate too much cheese and port variety or the lack of iodine big swelling in the neck variety.

Spinach and kale both reasonable levels of oxalic acid in them and can absorb heavy metals like nobodies business...hence the once or twice a week......You also shouldn't feed it to your kids more than twice a week. So much for popeye.

I give a piece of brocolli because it's sooty's fav. I've heard it can cause bad wind though luckilly he's never had any problems with it.

Yeah I think kale and spinach is once a week tops! Thats what I read, I mainly give mine spring greens as this is what they prefer!! (Fussy!!:lol: ) Along with a few slices of carrot, some broccoli 2-3 times a week, maybe some parsley, pea pods, chicory, apple slices or pear slices... I only really give em cabbage if no spring greens and then it the darker leaves!!

Back