• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Teeth

Victoria39

Mama Doe
Feeding the buns their veg this morning and I notice Archie's face, although not swollen, is a different shape to the other side. I have had a feel - no lumps, he hasn't lost any weight, watched him intently when eating his veg - no probs. He is munching his hay as normal, etc. However this evening I sat with him and his wifey and fed them by hand, Archie was eating one pellet to Flora's three, I purposely gave Archie the longer pellets, he was taking it, having a munch, dropping half, eating what was in his mouth and then ate the bit he dropped.

I'm off to the vets first thing but think he made need his teeth burring. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I don't think I'll be getting much sleep tonight.

Sounds like it could be teeth..
i know some people are against it but i would say it's worth taking him to see Rebecca as PVC coventry..she has sorted our buns out really well:D

Thanks Jill. It's not his teeth - he's suffered paralysis to the one side of his face:( Vet checked his teeth and they are fine. I was asked if he has suffered with shock or stress, which he hasn't. Vet informed me that it may improve, it may not, it may happen somewhere else, it may not. I fed Archie and Flora separately tonight to make sure he gets his portion - bless him, it took him half an hour to eat it. Think I'll do the same with the veg in the morning.

Thanks guys. Vet said it's a human version of Bells Palsy. Been racking my brains to think what stress/shock Archie may have been under and the only guess I can make is the terrible storm we had here on Thursday night. There were only two claps of thunder but boy it sounded as if it was directly above the house.

Fingers crossed, I'm hoping Archie won't get any worse.

Did your Vet rule out an ear infection? I have a Bun who developed a 'Bells Palsy' as a result of a Middle Ear Infection which attacted the facial nerves. The 'wonky face' was her only symptom. The Bun (Bernie) was put on a long course of antibiotics and ant-inflammatories and her ear infection resolved but she has been left with a permanent wonky face.

Janex

Back