• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why are pairs so hard to rehome??

Spacegirl

Mama Doe
Do other rescue find that the pairs hang around much longer than the singletons?
Two good examples;

Night and Ginger, a beautiful pair of rabbits - very little interest :(
ANIMAL_131_1.JPG.jpg

ANIMAL_130_1.JPG.jpg

And Tiger and Thumper - I have a particular soft spot for these two as I fostered them for a while :D They are two of the nicest, friendliest rabbits I have met and are devoted brothers . .
They have been at the rescue for 8 months without any real interest :(
IMGP3888.jpg

It just seems that most people come along wanting a rabbit to bond to one they already have, and these pairs get overlooked :(

Arrr they look lovely :D I guess because people probably just can't handle two rabbits at the same time it would mean they have to get a bigger hutch, more food etc unless they were going to bond but your four are lovely I hope they do find a loving, forever home soon

Esther x

I think it's because most people who look at rescue sites already have one bunny and through research have found out that they're best in pairs or more and lead onto rescues that way. I don;t think many people who consider getting a bun initially think of rescues.

Good luck to them :)

I think it varies..the longest stayers at Honeybunnies have been singletons:?

some pairs go quickly ..others don't....

the 2 you've highlighted are so pretty i'm surprised they haven't gone..

My two fosters have been with me only a month, but i get a feeling they will be here a while, 2 females, both difficult to handle although they are getting better, but people just don't seem to want the hassle of 2. Its a real shame as they are gorgeous girls. :? x Jess

aw

Those rabbits are gorgeous i would have had them! i suppose you start off with two then one dies you get a mate and so on so theres more people after one bunnie:?

abbylou xxxx

Tiger and Thumper are brothers? :shock: The himalayan? :shock: Whatever they are they are gorgeous and I'd have them in a snap, if I had room, which may be the problem for most people - Usually they have one already, or a pair and are just wanting a single to bond in, possibly? Or in my case there's just no way you can help them all :(

I fell in love with Tiger and Thumper last time they were highlighted on here.
It got us talking about having more rabbits, and I ended up helping out the rescue I muck out at by having a trio!

Yep. My theory is that most people get 1 rabbit from a pet shop because they have limited experience and its only when they start to look up care and information that they discover rescues, and the rescue statistics so vow to get the next one from a rescue.

In all honesty I prefere to keep them single in rescue unless they come as a pair and then pair them up to 'demand' as it were. It sounds awful but they get a friend eventually and they get a new home sooner too.

Sue who runs southampton rabbit rescue does the same; if they come in as pairs they stay as a pair, but if they are single they tend to stay that way as it does make them easier to rehome. If someone comes looking for one bun she does encourage them to leave with 2! Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't bother, and you wonder if they go and buy 1 bun from a shop :? can kinda be catch 22.
x Jess

Yeah I agree with that, when I got Raff in 2001, he was my first rabbit, and only after I got him, my addiction took off!! Got up to 14 at one point, unwanteds mostly... all of my bunnies are and have been gorgeous!! Tiger and Thumper are really cute, even my Mum thinks so (just shown her pic!!):)

I will give you a point of view from a new rabbit owner. I have wanted a rabbit for years, and eventually my hubby gave in. I am really into animals, animal rights etc but... stupidly I bought my bunny. It was a spur of the moment thing. I was in my local garden centre and the first thing I do when i go is look at the bunnies. Always hinting to the other half I want one. Never actually believing he will let me. Just a few days after my birthday we were there and he said you know we can get one if you want. So not even thinking I snapped his hand off bought a hutch and an indoor one and was at the till.

Coming home I realised that it was a silly thing today as I should have got one from a rescue centre, also I did not know they should be in pairs. So now I have a single bunny looking for a partner. IF I had looked into it more I would have gone to a rescue and got a pair straight off, but it was a spur of the moment thing.

I think this is what most people are possibly like. I am all into rescuing animals. I support all things animal welfare and I kick myself now. Although as has been pointed out to me by people I have discussed this with, at least you took it from the shop and gave it a good home and it isn't going to end up in a rescue centre. Which I guess could have happened. Of course I wouldn't be without him now, as he is a character, so I am glad he came to me.

So yes when I get him a partner it will be one to bond with him. TBH I wish I had the space to get a bonded pair, but I do not know if you can get a pair and bond with a single? If that was feasible I would get a bigger hutch and do that because I would love to give some a home.

Sue who runs southampton rabbit rescue does the same; if they come in as pairs they stay as a pair, but if they are single they tend to stay that way as it does make them easier to rehome. If someone comes looking for one bun she does encourage them to leave with 2! Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't bother, and you wonder if they go and buy 1 bun from a shop :? can kinda be catch 22.
x Jess

We usually pair our single bunny with their existing rabbit, I have only rehomed two rabbits to live as single house bunnies before.

This is probably gonna be one of those "duh" questions!!:? How much are both the bunnies? Is that what puts people off?

This is probably gonna be one of those "duh" questions!!:? How much are both the bunnies? Is that what puts people off?
if people won't pay the donation asked by a rescue then they are not right for an owner anyway..as how will they cope with vets bills?
I beleive Briar Patch neuter all their bunnies and vacs most of them so the will need to recover at least soem of their costs

Double that of a single rabbit.....but works out cheaper than a pet shop job and getting it all done yourself!

For us its £30 each so £60 a pair plus we find people often donate more than that anyway.

I was asking for myself about the price of the bunnies...! Incase I can do some persuading:lol: :lol: I have mostly taken on free ones... that arent so free when you jab and neuter... and havent rescued a bunny for some years!! 2001 I believe... sorry question probably came out wrong!:?

Back