• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

i've found a lump

mimi75

Alpha Buck
hello every one.i was massaging the base of my little moo's ears yesterday when i found a grape sized hard lump just below her left ear.i rang the vets and have an appointment for 10.30 a.m tomorrow.there are the two obvious things that concern me-a tumour or an abcess.a tumour would obviously be the very worst thing but also i have only experienced an abcess with my very old bunny elvie-woo and it sadly meant that after a while i had to let her go:cry:.moo is only 4 yrs old,so if it was an abcess due to dental probs e.t.c would there be more chance of it being operable in a younger bunny?understandably i'm worried so any advice would be great please.thanks alot.

I should point out I actually know next to nothing... :rolleyes:
But, if it IS a tumour, then there's no need to automatically assume the worse. It could be a benign tumour and simply need removing. If it is an abcess, then I s'pose some form of anti-biotic might be given. I think different anti-biotic is used for different abcesses... As in, if baytril is used but doesn't work, then there's no need to despair as another type might tackle the abcess. Draining/removing the abcess shouldn't be too risky... I don't think? Sorry this isn't much help...

My bunny Maa had an abscess a year and a half ago, in her head - she had to have it cleaned, and needed strong antibiotics but she's fine now, so don't despair :) If your vet can send a swab of the pus next to the abscess wall to a lab, they will advise which antibiotic will be most effective. I'm assuming it's an abscess as that's most likely at that age - just a scratch can turn into one.

oh thanks guys for your reassurance.i'm not sure how long it has been there but my poor little love did take a topple down the stairs the other day and bumped that side of her head a little.she seemed absolutely fine at the time tho,she just kind of lost her footing.i guess i do tend to panic a little every time one of them gets poorly.so i shall get her checked and put my mind at rest(hopefully)and they can have their rvhd top-ups whilst we are there.thankyou

Has she had her VHD jab in the last few weeks, as a small amount of the vaccine is injected into the base of the ear, and a small lump can form several days later?
Sorry, just reread you're getting their jabs redone soon.

hi everyone.well the vets went well(i think).it is a puss filled abcess so we have antibiotics and i have to take her back in a week.the vet thinks it is pasturella(?)and is hoping she responds well to treatment otherwise she may have to have it removed.so i'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed!thanks for your help

Back