• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunny attacks!

Ok, well I know Charm is getting better. He's being more iquisitive and fighting harder against the syringe....and attacking!

He was laid under my bed last night and I went to get him and put him to bed (he still sleeps in his hutch as that's where his food is so it will hopefully encourage him to eat more) and he lunged grunting and hissing? at me. Well I removed my hand sharpish and them got the broom to try to coax him out (my piggies run from it, I never touch the animals with it) and he attacked it. Lunged, claws scrabbling and teeth bared!

When I eventually got him from under the bed he laid in frontof my window and I tried to pick him up again...he attacked, lunging, grunting and hissing?! So I got the towel to protect my hands and he attacked that, but I picked him up and put him in his cage,

So this morning I'm stroking his head in his cage and he's fine till I go to remove one of his bowls (The vet told me to put baby food and yogurt in his cage so he would eat them without a syringe, it didn't work) and he lunged, grunting and hissing? I removed my hand sharpish, but I now can't get the old yogurt from his cage! At least I don't have to worry about him eating it, but I really need to get that out of there pronto!

What do I do?
Why is he snuggling up and being cute one moment then lunging at me the next? (I think this may be why he was put up for adoption)
How do I work through this?

Rabbits shouldnt eat yogurt, as far as I know they shouldnt have any dairy products. Not sure why a vet would recommend that. I would remove that straight away and not give him anymore :D

How old is he? Is he neutered? Some rabbits are just territorial over their space, my girl Buu was a bit of a nutter before she was spayed although she never actually hurt me, she would grunt and lunge at other people.

If you think that is the reason he was put up for adoption maybe he has never had anyone try and address the problem before now? I would probably wear gloves for feeding him in his cage for the moment and maybe wrap him in a towel for lifting him :oops: and just let him get used to you by sitting on the floor near him and letting him come over :D

Was Charm neutered before he was put up for adoption? Often 'teenage' bunnies get aggressive and territorial as part of becoming sexually mature... if Charm hasn't already been neutered then it'll certainly help tp calm him down a little.

Jen was a terror when she hit four months and I was counting the days until she could be spayed :lol: Her moods settled down within weeks of her spay.

Rabbits shouldnt eat yogurt, as far as I know they shouldnt have any dairy products. Not sure why a vet would recommend that. I would remove that straight away and not give him anymore :D

How old is he? Is he neutered? Some rabbits are just territorial over their space, my girl Buu was a bit of a nutter before she was spayed although she never actually hurt me, she would grunt and lunge at other people.

If you think that is the reason he was put up for adoption maybe he has never had anyone try and address the problem before now? I would probably wear gloves for feeding him in his cage for the moment and maybe wrap him in a towel for lifting him :oops: and just let him get used to you by sitting on the floor near him and letting him come over :D

Bunnies are allowed some yoghurt. Natural probiotic yoghurt in small doses is good for bunnies who have been on antibiotics. It helps replace some of the good bacteria in their guts and is healthy for them.

He's 3 and as far as we know he's neutured, it said he was when we bought him.

See the thing is while he was poorly and even now he'll lay in bed with me snuggle for fusses. Yesterday I was sat stroking the piggies and he came and sat against my legs and nosed my hand for fusses. Just every so often, with no warning he'll lunge!

Bunnies are allowed some yoghurt. Natural probiotic yoghurt in small doses is good for bunnies who have been on antibiotics. It helps replace some of the good bacteria in their guts and is healthy for them.

I thought they werent designed to digest dairy products :? The vets usually give you probiotics to add to your buns water while on antibiotics :D

the did this- wear gloves and when he lunges- push his head to the floor - it makes him think YOURE BOSS!!!

If you leave him alone every time he attacks then he knows his behaviour works! and will continue to do it.

It made me cry when theo was like that- but by pushing his head down for a couple of seconds- he will begin to see that you wear the trousers!

I thought they werent designed to digest dairy products :? The vets usually give you probiotics to add to your buns water while on antibiotics :D

i give cleo the teeniest spot of probiotic yoghurt with apricot the other day- just to see if she would like it! She didnt even touch it! _

This was a tiny bit- i dipped a pellet in some yoghurt was all

I might be wrong but I just thought they couldnt digest dairy products :D Im sure someone who knows more about it will be able to tell me :lol:

I know you shouldnt feed the yogurt drops that you can buy for small animals as they contain dairy products, im sure I read that on here and a couple of vets have mentioned not to bother with them :D

the did this- wear gloves and when he lunges- push his head to the floor - it makes him think YOURE BOSS!!!

If you leave him alone every time he attacks then he knows his behaviour works! and will continue to do it.

It made me cry when theo was like that- but by pushing his head down for a couple of seconds- he will begin to see that you wear the trousers!

I knocked him with the broom under the bed and he came out, and when I picked him up with the towel I then forcefed him some more. He's not being left alone after it, he's just not being touched by bare hands.

i give cleo the teeniest spot of probiotic yoghurt with apricot the other day- just to see if she would like it! She didnt even touch it! _

This was a tiny bit- i dipped a pellet in some yoghurt was all

Oh charm loves his natural yoghurt. He doesn't get much though because too much is bad but a little is fine.

I know you shouldnt feed the yogurt drops that you can buy for small animals as they contain dairy products, im sure I read that on here and a couple of vets have mentioned not to bother with them :D

Small ammounts of dairy will not hurt your bunny, but too much will. If you don't know, don't give it.

I knocked him with the broom under the bed and he came out, and when I picked him up with the towel I then forcefed him some more. He's not being left alone after it, he's just not being touched by bare hands.

I see- but honestly- head pushing works- (i sound so cruel) just a lil pressure just infront and between the ears to bring his chin to the floor!

In the wild the dominant bun would put his head above the less dominant and in effect do a similar thing-

Back