• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post neuter care for outdoor buns

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
After their spay, how soon do people put rabbits back outside?
Mine were done on Friday, and they've been living in the kitchen, but are desperate to escape!

They should be ok. Just remove anything that might encourage them to jump until their stitches are healed.

When Smudge was neutered he only stayed inside overnight and was put back into the hutch the following day and allowed access to the garden/run - my view on it was that he would be happier in his own home, however, we had to keep him and Daisy separated when in their hutch for a while as he kept fighting with her - I suppose he was sore and was unable to be bothered by her (just like us humans would be:) ).

Luckily enough our hitch is a two up two down which is normally available for them both to use as one whole hutch but we converted it into two flats for a few days.:lol:

My girls when back outside after a couple of days, but I shut of access to Scarletts run so she wouldnt hurt herself going up and down the ramp and just let her play out when I was home until the vet told me her wound was fine :D

I kept mine inside for about a week, but had some complications a few days in, so that was probably why.

Thanks for your replies!
I think I might put mine back in their shed tonight as they are really fed up in the kitchen.

I'll have to get the screwdriver out to take out their ramp and shelf!

Back