• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how to stop digging & scratching

howiep

New Kit
hi all.
has anyone got any ideas how to stop our little missy from scratching & trying to dig on our laminate floor, trying to get into a room she's not allowed?

I've tried clapping or shouting NO to startle her, this stops her for a few mins. She runs up to me, almost like she's aplogising.....but then a few mins later, she may go back again. any ideas? :)

Why does she want to get in there? Is she bored, lonely or have you got something yummy in there? :D

Im not sure you can stop a bunny from digging, as its instinctive. There was a room that Oscar was never allowed into, and whenever he would hear the door open, he would shoot off into that room, he just HAD to be in there.He would go under the bed, and it would take us ages to get him out. What is in the room thats so appealing to the bunny? :lol:

When I had Maa indoors, she just sat there too scared to move, however it was a different story with Benny - no matter how much space he had, he always wanted to know what was on the other side of that wall/door/floor :roll: He just couldn't stop exploring - so it may just be her nature - does she get fresh hay twice a day? Is it nice green, sweet hay, or brown stuff? Benny did seem to be more 'naughty' when he was wanting a big bundle of hay to sort out in his litter tray.

rabbits are curious animals so she will want to see whats on the other side of the door. thry giving her more toys or activities, but i agree with whats said, you'll never stop the digging x

I dont think you can stop a bunny from digging but maybe you could provide a digging box? :D A big cardboard box or plastic storage box filled with soil (if its in the house I wouldnt use that though) or shredded paper or hay, I put a few pellets in the bottom of a box filled with hay and they dig about in it for ages :lol:

thanks all.
its the bedroom she's trying to get into,prob cos she sees us going into it all the time. missy and her hubby dunlop, have been into the bedroom quite a few times tho......she disapears all the time under the bed, but he gets the hint when we tell him no. :)

theyve got loadsa toys, its prob as u all say, natural for her to want to dig to get into there, she's so nosey! everytime she sees me walk in the direction of the bedroom, she follows me, step by step.

i might look into some sort of digging box to keep her occupied.

Oh she maybe thinks, being female, that under the bed would make a good nesting place - it's just her ideal home that's all :p Maybe giving her something to hide under would satisfy her? like a little plastic kids table or something?

We have a utility room with lots of hidey holes and wires and stuff and of coarse rabbit food so whenever Paddy is in the kitchen, he makes it his mission to open the door and get inside! he will dig and scratch in the area because he knows thats were his treats and food are.

I know just the thing!

A sand box filled with child safe sand from elc:

DSCI0096-1.jpg

they can dig all they like and satisfy their urges!!! Mine have been digging all day!

Prolly best to get a big cat corner toilet with a lid though if its in your house as the sand can fly!

I dont think you can stop a bunny from digging but maybe you could provide a digging box? :D A big cardboard box or plastic storage box filled with soil (if its in the house I wouldnt use that though) or shredded paper or hay, I put a few pellets in the bottom of a box filled with hay and they dig about in it for ages :lol:

oops- didnt see that

Back