• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

shed and sml run or hutch and big run!? dilemma

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
As some of you may know, I have a little wild bunny who I have hand reared since she was a baby. I had decided to keep her after I lost 2 then 3 of her brothers as I thought I could accomodate 2 bunnies.

Due to the lack of space and sloping in our garden their is only one place bunny palace can go and even this is going to be hard work as having to level out part of the garden plus move the fence slightly.

I was going to have an 8x5 shed only with mesh doors but o/h thinks a smaller shed and run would be better as thinks the big shed will block out the sun from the only part of garden which gets any!

Idealling he thinks a hutch is better but I liked the idea of a shed for the following reasons..

Better shelter for bunnies in winter
Plus more room for them to move about if bad weather outside
I could sit in shed with bunnies, especially important as Spudsey is a wild bun and at the moment I have a lovely bond with her which I don't want to lose. If shes in a hutch/run I can't sit in with her and will have to pick her up instead which she like other bunnies aren't keen on.

However having a hutch/run instead of a 6x4 shed and 4x4 run will mean a 10x4 run instead!!! Get it!? :lol:

Decisions Decisons, o/h has now cleared way for preparation I just need to make my mind up!

Both options sound pretty good :D But given what you're saying about her being semi-wild and not liking handling, the shed/run option sounds best to me.

I had the same problem, a shed would take up too much room and block alot of light, but I also wanted somewhere where I could sit and with lots of room for buns, so I used a kids playhouse.

Rabbits018.jpg

Rabbits019.jpg

I have some hooks either side of the door and some strong solid mesh that hooks onto them so i can leave the door open during the day, the size of the playhouse is around 4ft x 4ft and the run is a couple of inches short of 7ft x 3 ft.

that looks really nice thanks for that. I've seen 4x4 playhouses/sheds for about £130. That means I could have a 6x4 run as well which hopefully should be ok!

You could go for an aviary style set up with a sleeping box/hutch inside. If it's full height you can go in but it doesn't block the sun. You can buy ready made aviary panels :)

Yeah I got that from Focus but they also do them at the Wyevale garden centres as well, it cost me £120 and the run was handmade.

I have the same set up with a 4x4 playhouse and 6x4 run. I have put a shelf in my playhouse to increase the floor space and the bunnies treat the upstairs as their living quarters (like us :lol:) and downstairs as their loo and as a means to get out in the run. However, I can't sit in the playhouse as the shelf takes up a lot of space but I can sit on the run.

bunnyhouse.jpg

bunhouseinside.jpg

I want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Could you tell me how tall the playhouse is?
Thank you!:D

From the bottom to the apex of the roof (at the side) it is 4ft8 high. However I have mine sitting on a pallette to stop it getting damp so that makes it closer to 5ft.

Good luck with your new project :D

Ive having a run and half of my big shed is going to be for the bunnies. the reason its half is because the shed is huge, like a garage and we do need some storage x

This is one of my setups i painted it and it looks so sweet my 2 rabbits that live in here love it and soon i am going to add a shelf inside

P4060103.jpg

I have the same playhouse as everyone else but I have my run coming out of the front. I'm going to swap this to the side though, I'll be able to have a larger run and I won't get all muddy in the winter climbing in.

I have a shelf in mine and my two love it. They sleep on it in the winter, I've had to carpet it!

Back