• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

They've gone mad for hay!!!

CuBar

Warren Scout
Bought some hay from dust free hay and the bunsters cannot get enough of it!! solved the pooping in the hay problem by putting it in a hanging basket with a litter tray underneath and they are just munching constantly :D How much hay can they actually consume? I know they will drink more but they seem to be getting through a jumbo bottle between them in a day and a half, is that normal?

Jen and Frankie used to drink loads (one of the 'large' water bottles full in a day) and then they slowed down when I switched them from the pet shop hay to the dust free stuff. Now they drink about half a bottle a day between them :D

Maybe your bunnies are drinking more because they are eating more hay? Jenny and Frankie are eating about the same amount as they used to, but the Dust Free Hay is much less dusty than the other stuff I had.

If you get very concerned, it's probably worth just getting them checked out by your vet, at the very least it'll put your mind at rest :D

Great that they are eating hay :D They should have at least their own body size in hay every day, which is a lot of hay. My rabbits drink tons, but I give it in dishes, so I'm not sure how much cc - about a big rabbit dish (the brown crock type) a day, at least. It's more of a problem if they don't drink enough, as that can lead to stasis.

I have an English and a Satin together and they eat loads of hay, and got through a 300ml water a day, not too bad, but every bunny different I suppose!! Like us humans!!:lol:

I started mine on dust free and they practically don't stop munching all day! Which is great as Barney has had teeth problems and Roxy suspected teeth problems. They drink about two bowls of water a day. Its pretty much a fulltime job keeping them satisfied.

I'm curious which do people prefer hay from dust free hay or from hay experts?? looking to order some so my buns don't hve to put up with pet shop pap but unsure which is best?

I have just started buying dust free hay and the buns are eating it non stop. What I have done though to make it last longer is I've bought some devon meadow hay from the hay experts and mixed it together. I buy oxbow timothey every couple of months because its too expensive to buy all the time.

Nicola

I'm curious which do people prefer hay from dust free hay or from hay experts?? looking to order some so my buns don't hve to put up with pet shop pap but unsure which is best?

Oh I didn't know there was a company called dust free.

Mine is Pure Pastures and is dust extracted. Its from the hay experts. I think its about £ 3 but I can' remember. It not very expencive althought the amount they are now getting through I suppose its getting more expencive but I'm so pleaased they are munching on it pretty much non stop.

I may buy some from dust free hay and get some different varietys from hay experts just to give them some variety.

Also what type do people use from dust free hay is it the meadow mix if so soft or stalkier option or is it the timothy?

Last edited:
I may buy some from dust free hay and get some different varietys from hay experts just to give them some variety.

Also what type do people use from dust free hay is it the meadow mix if so soft or stalkier option or is it the timothy?

I ordered some from dust free hay last week but that was before they put the options of different hay on the website, but i think mine is the stalkier one, suppose that would be better for their teeth than the softer one?

Back