• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grooming aids when molting

oscarbunny

Warren Veteran
I apologize if this has been posted before, but what sort of brush should i be using to groom (get rid of loose hair when molting) on buns. I have 3 different types at the moments, and they are ok but could be better.... how do you groom buns/what do you use when they are molting??

I tend to use one of those grooming gloves with the nubby rubber palms on it. That way it not only helps get the old fur out, it also holds onto it so that it doesn't waft all over the place!!!!!

Janice said I should use damp hands, and it really works. Messy, but effective. :D

I forgot about that! I used to do that when my two were housebuns...probably a little harder when outside, but it does really work, i remember!!! Give them a little massage at the same time! :D

:wave: Wet hands are good for getting the surface/loose hair off, and I hand pluck the loose bits of fur too.

But what I find really effective is a fine metal comb - like the one pictured in the Mega Moult thread :D It's so good for getting the undercoat out - fur that you'd never know needed to be removed. There's a bit of a knack to it, but I find if you keep it flat to the bun's body and go through the coat gently but firmly, you'll get loads out. I swear I could have stuffed a cushion with all Rosie's fur this week :shock:

I tried gentle finger plucking... he seemed to like that :roll: but panicked at the amount of fur oscar was losing, you can see a little bit of his skin... bald..:shock: .but you can see where new hair is starting to come through, and in other places, the new hair is already there... is that normal?

Totti is a very heavy moulter and I gently pluck. It comes out in clumps but it's got to come out anyway so it's best I do it so less may be ingested.

I also use a brush from Wilkos which has a double head... one side is a brush and one side is metal prongs. works very well and was only £2.99.

When brushing I start from the bum and go against the fur... I find this gets out lots. After I've done that for a while I brush the normal way so he's sleek again.. for a few minutes :roll:

I use a pet grooming glove, but find that light plucking is much more effective. That video was amazing, but I wonder if it might be too harsh for a tender bun's skin.

i have just ordered one of these for the cat/dog but i might try it on the bunnies :D just strips out the undercoat but doesnt damage the coat or touch the skin :D

http://www.furminator.com/

watch the vids i was like :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

Wow, that's amazing :shock:

I had a look at the FAQs and they mention that one of the sizes (the 'small blue tool' I think) is suitable for rabbits, so definitely worth keeping in mind :)

Abi - let us know how you get on :)

Back