• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sisi is pulling fur.... I didn't think she was bred...?

ThatsMySimi

Young Bun
Sisi is pulling fur and putting in it one corner of her cage... She hasnt been put in with a buck since I got her, and I dont think she was put in with one at the home that had her before I did, but she was beside a Netherland Dwarf that may have been a buck, I think........ I have had her for 13 days(I got her on the 7th of july) But she HAS NOT been put near a buck since I got her (Unless Simi is a buck, but we are almost 100% sure shes a she.) and if she did get bred at the last home, she would have had to been bred in the 2 weeks before I got her. Anyone have a doe who pulls fur even if she isnt preg? Should I go get her a nesting box? What should I do? She squeaks at me when I go near her belly, and she has been putting her bum to me a lot. She doesnt do her usualy morning "laps" where she runs around her cage and binkies, and I am just a tad freaked out. Breeding wasnt my intentions with rabbits, but I know how to care for kits. (My mom used to show and breed rabbits)... Anyone have any idea about this?

Thanks,
Shay, Simi and Sisi.

If you're not sure if she was with a buck before she came to you or even 100% sure your other rabbits are sexed right then you'll just have to wait and see I'm afraid. If she is pregnant and fur pulling then birth is imminent - the other possibility is that she is experiencing a phantom pregnancy and if that is the case I would suggest you get her spayed to relieve the hormones.

Thank you. We do know what sex both of my rabbits are (My mom knows a LOT about rabbits - as she bred and showed them for arounf 13 years) But when I was talknig about getting a new bun, I was told Sisi was a nutered male (we checked her before I brought her home, and shes a female.)
Sisi is squeeking at me when my hand goes near her belly, and if I dont back off, she will growl/grunt....
She usualy doesnt do that- ever!...

I suppose Ill just have to wait it out.

Well, Simi is just a baby ,and we check her every week to make sure she hasnt had a vist from the gender fairy. Theres a slit all the way down, so shes a girl.

, I was told Sisi was a nutered male (we checked her before I brought her home, and shes a female.)

This is just a rhetorical question as we don't do naming and shaming on this forum - but where on earth did you go to get a rabbit that they claim to be a neutered male if she is actually a female??? :? If the vet had tried to neuter a male they would definately have realised she was a girl and surely talked to the owner and advised towards a spay???

Anyway - all my unspayed females build a couple of nests a year, but I know for sure they're not pregnant, as my only boy is neutered and was when I adopted him 2yrs ago. It's just something they do when they are hormonal, especially if the weather is warmer (like it was briefly yesterday :roll: )

In your case I'd be a pessimist and prepare for babies, then you'll be pleasantly suprised if it turns out to just be a phantom pregnancy. Surely your mum told you about phantom pregnancies? I'm sure some of her bunnies would have had them from time to time.

One of my does used to pull her fur out and got all tetchy with me if I touched her, she was having phantoms, cos her previous owner had let her breed before, so in the end I had her speyed, as she was doing this up to twice a month, poor thing!! But I agree with the others err on the side of caution and treat her like a pregnant doe!

I do know about phantom pregnancies, and I assume Sisi having one, but just in case, I have everything ready incase she is actualy pregnant.

As for the place where I got her, the place I got her , got her from a woman who had 2 bunnies... Both pet store buns, so I assume, the pet sotre told her Sisi was a nutered male, and she just assumed it was right. The place I got her from after, KNEW she was a she. But the old owner had said she was a nutered male. :shock: I dont know how it happened, it just did. It wasnt the lady I got her from that thoguht she was a he, she kknoews what shes doing as she used to breed and show buns with my mother.

Thanks for all the advice... I dont think shes pergnant, but its a possibility. So, I am prepared for the worst... so now I just wait and see.

if shes broody, even if she been in with another female this could set her off nesting, as the females will often jump on each other, thus the poor lass may think shes having kits, your sure no-ones not decided it might be fun to put her in with your buck, ive heard of this happening to people before.

:lol: :lol: That's all the bases covered then....hopefully it is just a phantom. Those bunnies do like to keep us on our toes:lol: :lol:

Yup, I am positive its a phantom now. I asked the lady who had her beofre me, and said there was no way she got bred....(That lady is now trying to give us a Jersey wooly...)

Back