• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A vet / vetinery nurse said that ....... update

bunnyrun

Mama Doe
I had a call yesterday from a lady who has 4 french lops, 1 male, 3 females
she had her male castrated and decided to put him back with the females 5 weeks after his op, all 3 girls are expecting babies anyday :shock: :shock:
she phoned her vets and was told when the babies were born to take them all down there and they would gas the lot:cry: :cry: :cry: she asked what the kindest thing to do was i told her that that was unnessesary and that id take them when they are 8 weeks old. What have i let myself in for :oops: how many babies can a frenchie have ? I cant believe that a vet would even suggest such a thing :evil: :evil: those poor babies dont stand a chance ive assured the lady that ill help and she reassured me that no harm would come to them any offers of help in 8 weeks time would be appreciated :)

Last edited:
Is this in addition to the baby frenchies that are already on the RIN section? :shock:
Are you planning to vax or neuter any of them before rehoming?

a vet /vetinery nurse said that

The baby frenchies on RIN were put on there months ago and have all come back for neautering so they are all rehomed and now neautered this is a new frenchie problem but again they will be bought back when old enough for neautering or will be fostered etc, obviously i dont know how many we are talking about till they are born :) :)

I don't think the frenchie owner sounds suspicious - just stooopid :roll: Although judging by that vet, maybe the vet told her he'd be fine going back with the girls after 5 weeks :?

Hi again,
The bigger the bunny the bigger the litter could potentially be (I think).
Flossy came from a litter of 11 and is def smaller than most frenchies beause of it. It took her longer to fill out etc and we had to kind of 'feed her up'
What vet would gas baby bunnies, could these owners be fibbing to you?
Lucy xxx

I am in Peacehaven and am happy to foster a couple if need be or can help with transport, just pm me if I can help anytime :wave:

Surely by 5 weeks the male may still be ever so slightly fertile, but not enough to impregnant 3 does? If so, then prehaps 6 weeks isn't long enough either, does sound dodgy to me as well.

Although I don't agree with it, I can see why a vet may suggest gassing, with the number of rabbits in rehoming, the last thing we need are yet more babies, how many older buns are going to miss out on rehoming because of these 'accidental' litters. :cry:

awwww what a shame i havent moved yet, i really want a frenchie! but can only have one when im out of this horrid flat and in bigger housing

Hmm that does sound a bit odd..... I dont think 'GASSING' is the first thing a vet would suggest, surely a late spay would be more humane....?!

would a vet suggest

Hmmm:? dont want to worry you too much but a frenchie that i took in had 13 babies:shock: :shock:
As to that vet suggesting gassing well I had the same reply from the RSPCA when i asked them to help with lots of babies that i had here:shock: they told me to take the little ones from thier nest & put them in the FREEZER:shock: to kill them:shock: :evil: when i told her that it was very cruel to do that she told me to get on with it then:shock: :evil:
I found homes for them myself:)

a vet/ vetinery nuse said that update....

Ive spoken to the head vet at the practice where the lady was told to take the babies and gas them :evil: he was very cooperative and admitted that the owner was told this by a vetinery nurse he explained he had apologised to his client and he did confirm that the male bunny was indeed castrated he dealt with me very proffessionaly i was very impressed he understood my concerns and has assured me theses babies will not be gassed by his practice
still waiting to hear from the owner when they are born so ill be back with another update as soon as i know more. I really do feel this is an accident on speaking to the owner and vet there is no reason for me to doubt what they are saying unless im very nieve and gullable the 4 bunnies live together which is why the girls are pregnant but surely after 5 weeks he,d be pretty infertile this is just a very sad mistake on the owners part

Ive spoken to the head vet at the practice where the lady was told to take the babies and gas them :evil: he was very cooperative and admitted that the owner was told this by a vetinery nurse he explained he had apologised to his client and he did confirm that the male bunny was indeed castrated he dealt with me very proffessionaly i was very impressed he understood my concerns and has assured me theses babies will not be gassed by his practice
still waiting to hear from the owner when they are born so ill be back with another update as soon as i know more. I really do feel this is an accident on speaking to the owner and vet there is no reason for me to doubt what they are saying unless im very nieve and gullable the 4 bunnies live together which is why the girls are pregnant but surely after 5 weeks he,d be pretty infertile this is just a very sad mistake on the owners part

I had 3 Does impregnated by a Buck 6 weeks post castration.......

Janex

a vet/vetinery nurse said that update

so its definetly possible then, a very sad mistake on the owners part bunt at least she,s asking for help so i can be prepared when they are 8 weeks old a post will be put on RIN when the time comes :)

YIKES!!!!!:shock: I guess some of them are really potent little guys!!!

I can only hope that this woman has removed the buck from the does now.....I know it would be HIGHLY unlikely that he would still be able to get them pregnant again after the babies are born......but if something like that happened to ME, no WAY would I take the risk again! (Though I would like to think that it wouldn't happen to me in the FIRST place!:? ) Do you know if she is going to separate them all for when they have their babies?????

so its definetly possible then, a very sad mistake on the owners part bunt at least she,s asking for help so i can be prepared when they are 8 weeks old a post will be put on RIN when the time comes :)

I will foster at least a couple for you when the time comes.:D

Back