• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My quest for a second rabbit! It got even better...

casu consulto

Mama Doe
... :rolleyes: I might've been slightly sarcastic there. 'Kay, the situation thus far is as follows:

At the start of the summer holidays I went looking at rabbits as I wanted a friend for my current bunny, Barney. Barney is a dutch boy, about 2 years old. I adopted him in June last year from a sanctuary about 45 minutes away. So, we went there first and looked at their rabbits. Mostly they have neutured males, and I wanted a spayed doe. They had about four does on show, one bonded already, one called 'Grumpy' who was exactly that, and one reserved. The fourth was a small blue-ish/grey and white dutch who had not yet been spayed. Her name was Ulrika and we were told they suspected she was pregnant but would know for sure that weekend. This was the rabbit the guy picked up and then placed in my arms... which was a bit of a mistake, 'cos she snuggled against me and closed her eyes. We were then shown her three, spayed, sisters in the room behind and were told they were reserved pending a homecheck that was very, very unlikely to be passed. With four possible bunnies then, I felt quite optimistic. Ideally I had wanted a young dutch doe who was quite friendly.

I was told, that weekend, that Ulrika was indeed pregnant and the other three had gone to their new home. I then went looking for other sanctuary type places in my area and found two more. Both places had mostly males, or unspayed females. I wanted a spayed female as I don't trust my problems with anxiety involving a spay... :/ Eventually, after these two failed, I looked for RSPCA places, even though I was scared of a homecheck. I just got really nervous thinking of someone looking at my current rabbit's home and finding fault. We went to an RSPCA place and were shown a small black doe. We put in an adoption application and were told to expect a check soon. They came, we passed. Then a few days later we got a phonecall telling us that the little rabbit had been spayed and had been fine, but died suddenly three days later.

So, on the offchance someone might have handed in a new rabbit at the first place, we phoned to ask. And we were told Ulrika had NOT been pregnant and told we could still have her once she had been spayed. We were told this would happen at the end of this week, and to call back today. So we did this earlier, and have been told that the vet was very busy this week and it will now be done NEXT week, instead. .-.

I'd originally wanted a new rabbit at the start of the holidays. I intended to use my time away from university to introduce the two bunnies and get to know the new girlie, like I did with Barney last year. There's set back after set back... It's kinda funny. I'll wait for her, but still. *sigh*

Sorry about this... I just sort of wanted to vent. :rolleyes: My bad.

Back