• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My new babies neutered today

BB Mommy

Warren Veteran
I adopted a trio of girlies 2 weeks ago (mum and 2 daughters).
We were putting off their spay until Lou's rabbit savy vet came back to work, mainly 'cos they're so small, and 'cos they had all got along fine.
Unfortunately after coming home mum has been relentlessly humping her daughters, and mum and daughter had a fight on Monday that resulted in a bitten bum :(
Mum and the biggest daughter were neutered today.
Mum seems quite perky, but the daughter is very quite and much colder. I've got her on a snugglesafe and I've put the CH on.

Neither have eaten yet, but I'm advised that they may not eat until late tnite or early in the morning.

Any tips on encouraging them to eat asap?

You could grate up some carrot/apple. That sometimes tempts a Bun to eat
Dandelion leaves and hand picked grass might appeal too
If you offer the girls water from a bowl they may be more likely to drink. Buns tend to drink before they eat after a GA.

Sending eating and pooing vibes to your girls

Janex

Thanks Jane. I've just been down the garden to get some of their fave plants (it's absolutely pouring down here!).
Mum has eaten about 8 leaves :D :D but daughter still not interested, She doesn't look as comfortable as mum.

It is freezing today, so it's good you've got the heating on - I can't believe it's like winter! :shock: It's possible they did your little girl's op after her mum's op, so she's not as far over the anaesthetic yet? Hope she's well soon :)

That's what's worrying me - mum was done last so I'd have expected her daughter to eat first :?
I suppose we all recover differently.
Poor little Strawberry is desperate to get in with them (I've got them alongside each other so she can see and lie next to them), but until they're both eating and pooing she'll have to wait :(

If Strawberry hasn't been spayed, won't they fight? Usually you have to take a group to be spayed together as they smell 'funny' when they get back and the other rabbits don't like it. They need to be rested in a fairly small area for a couple of days, with no running or jumping allowed, so you'd know what Strawberry is likely to do.

If the little girl's still groggy she may just not have handled the anaesthetic as well as her mum did - hopefully she'll pick up later in the night, but you could ring the emergency vet any time if you are worried, and ask what they think - it's free to call them up ;)

Hooray!:D :D both mum and daughter ate last night - everything was gone this morning (except the pellets), and they've both eaten again this morning.
There's not many poo's, so I'll be keeping a close eye today to make sure they're both "going".
So relieved!!!:D :D

Awww thats great news.My bunny was spayed on Wednesday and only today she has started to eat her pellets:D
She would only eat dandelions and grass but last night wolved down parsley,spring green and corriander.

Back