• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mounting and chasing

Indiechic

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, I hav two 3.5 month old rabbits (both female and sisters). They keep mounting eachother when playing in thier run and i was wondering why thismight be? they are definitly both female.

x

My group of 4 unspayed girls (sisters) are nearly 3yrs old and they mount and chase usually when I'm bringing food - it's a dominance thing rather than a sexual thing, although being mounted does induce phantom pregnancies in them occasionally (about twice a year). Not sure if spaying sorts it out or not - depends on their personality more I think, and even if you spay them it will take a few months for their hormones to die down, and they may be in the habit of it then.

I adopted 2 neutered, adult boys (brothers) a couple of years ago, and they did this too when the sun shone or it got warm - they got frisky! :)

its been really sunny here up until now. its only sometimes but they do it for about an hour and then just lay down or run about.

Lilly is bigger than marsha and marsha has been abit off colour past few days so has had alot of attention off me, and now that shes better shes back to normal so its perhaps that lilly is jealous.

It just panixs me.

x

I expect they are becoming hormonal and this is just part of the resulting behaviour. Mounting is usually done for dominance ~(appart from the other obvious reason!)
I would suggest getting them both speyed when they are old enough. It should calm down this kind of behaviour and will also remove the risk of uterine cancer :D

Awww thanks for the replies.

I will be getting them spayed when they are old enough...

well, they seem to have calmed down and are sat stuffing thier faces. maybe its time for me to do the same xx

My new trio are mum (1yr+) and her 2 daughters (6mths and 7mths).
Mum has been humping both her daughters, and they her, since they came home 2 weeks ago, and it is a dominance thing.
They have all lived happily with each other at the rescue for the past 5 months or so, but the humping was getting to be continual, and there was a fight earlier this week.:(
As a result the eldest 2 were spayed today, and the dinky one will get done when she's bigger.
I'm very hopeful that the spaying will put an end to most of the humping!!

One of my males (neutered a year ago) went mad in the spring tho' - he was forever humping his wife.....must have been something in the air! (She just sat there with a very bemused look on her face:lol: :lol: )

Back