• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can (and should) an older, single bunny be bonded?

Rosie Rabbit

Mama Doe
Can a bunny who's been single for a long time be bonded successfully? And should they be? We're having a dilemma over whether or not to get another bun to bond with Rosie and I could do with some input. :?

She has been a single housebunny since we got her 2.5 years ago (and probably was single before that too - she is maybe around 4 years old but could be older).

She is a very relaxed, laid back, apparently happy bun. I'm at home all day and spend literally hours with her - I climb in with her and she enjoys lots cuddles, kisses and noserubs several times a day. She's very affectionate with me.

One the one hand, I do know though that no matter how much attention she gets from us, it's probably no substitute for another bunny. And there are times I'm not here and I worry if she's lonely. On the other hand, I saw a post the other day where someone said that what rabbits like best is for things to stay the same, and that bonding was perhaps not always in a bun's best interests.

I suppose I'm wary of upsetting things - she does seem a pretty happy bunny, so I'm not sure what to do - but I do want to do what's best for her, even if it breaks her bond with me a bit.

Incidentally, we always did intend to have two. We adopted her as a male, intending to bond a female with her (as I knew this was easier), but the rescue mis-sexed her. So, having a female, we then got a male bunny a while ago from someone who was looking to rehome, but he was snuffly and our vet advised us to return him before we introduced them. So it's not been a great success so far!

Sorry for the long post, but any advice would welcome, thanks.

My Sh*tty was bonded after spending the first 8 or 9 years of her life alone.

I think there's less pressure on you to provide company for your rabbit if they have a friend, which leaves time free for other activities...

...or more rabbits :oops: :lol:

I wouldn't say 4 was particularly old. I have bonded 3 year old - sometimes no problem, but sometimes they take a bit longer with not being used to bun company for so long

A Rescue may bond tem for you though;)

A lot of bunnies in rescues have lived alone before and while they were in the rescue, and still most of them can be bonded. Rosie may not agree with every bunny, but I am sure there are some out there who have the right character for her. :D

I've just adopted an 8 year old bunny and bonded her with one of my existing pairs. To my knowledge she was single before this and it was one of the easiet bondings I have done :D Its has also made her very clearyl happier! She has a better appetite and is much morer relaxed with me than she was when she was on her own (I had been fostering her for a few months before, so I saw a big change!)
I would definitely say go for it. It is so rewarding when you see them enjoying the company of another rabbit :D

Thanks to everyone who has replied :D

Wow, so a couple of you have bonded buns who have been around 8 years old? :shock: That's encouraging :)

I wouldn't say 4 was particularly old. I have bonded 3 year old - sometimes no problem, but sometimes they take a bit longer with not being used to bun company for so long

A Rescue may bond tem for you though;)

Oh, how I would love to be near a rescue who would bond for me!! I'm hours away from any rabbit rescue. There are several Scottish SPCA rescues closer, but they wouldn't bond, would they? :? I don't have great confidence in them - Rosie came from one and they told us she was an entire male :roll: They got her character totally wrong too.

I have bonded a 13 year old male with a year old female. She was very, very gentle and calm and suited his laid back personality. They were bonded within 4 hours. It depends on the temperaments of the rabbits if they get on. :)

I have bonded a 13 year old male with a year old female. She was very, very gentle and calm and suited his laid back personality. They were bonded within 4 hours. It depends on the temperaments of the rabbits if they get on. :)

Awww that made me laugh :lol: I bet he thought alll his Christmasses came at once, or aren't old rabbits like old humans?

Can a bunny who's been single for a long time be bonded successfully? And should they be? We're having a dilemma over whether or not to get another bun to bond with Rosie and I could do with some input. :?

She has been a single housebunny since we got her 2.5 years ago (and probably was single before that too - she is maybe around 4 years old but could be older).

She is a very relaxed, laid back, apparently happy bun. I'm at home all day and spend literally hours with her - I climb in with her and she enjoys lots cuddles, kisses and noserubs several times a day. She's very affectionate with me.

One the one hand, I do know though that no matter how much attention she gets from us, it's probably no substitute for another bunny. And there are times I'm not here and I worry if she's lonely. On the other hand, I saw a post the other day where someone said that what rabbits like best is for things to stay the same, and that bonding was perhaps not always in a bun's best interests.

I suppose I'm wary of upsetting things - she does seem a pretty happy bunny, so I'm not sure what to do - but I do want to do what's best for her, even if it breaks her bond with me a bit.

Incidentally, we always did intend to have two. We adopted her as a male, intending to bond a female with her (as I knew this was easier), but the rescue mis-sexed her. So, having a female, we then got a male bunny a while ago from someone who was looking to rehome, but he was snuffly and our vet advised us to return him before we introduced them. So it's not been a great success so far!

Sorry for the long post, but any advice would welcome, thanks.

I am a great believer in 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' - if Rosie seems happy then she probably IS happy - and bear in mind with the house being her territory, any bonding would have to be done outside, unless there's a room she's never been in? It's much easier to introduce a female into a male's territory, than it is to introduce a male into a female's territory, because females are a lot more territorial than males.

If you want another bunny for yourself, then you will just have to work at it, but I don't think Rosie's bothered really, since she gets so much attention from you. My 2 single bunnies live outside in hutches, and I barely spend any time with them, so it's nice that they have each other next door, but Rosie's not a lonely bunny, although you are probably rubbish at licking her ears :p

I've read with interest elve's comments and agree with her reasoning however I would be itching to add a friend for Rosie. We got Nellie (3) and Poppet (2.5) first and they were supposed to be mother and daughter together for life. After a month I thought it would be great if we had a little boy rabbit called Elvis so went back to the RSPCA and duly found our little Elvis. They got on ok at the RSPCA and other than one minor spat where Elvis scratched Nellie's nose they got on instantly. Admittedly we'd only had ours for a month by then but within 2 days they were sharing food, the same cage and area. Watching 2 rabbits simultaneously groom each other is fascintaing and it doesn't necessarily follow that your bond will lessen.
I think this was taken within 2 days of getting Elvis (Poppet, Elvis & Nellie)...

NPElounge0048.jpg

Neil

Get one get one get one!

Rosie is always asking after Barney so she obviuosely has an interest in other rabbits.

I really think no matter how much time you spend with her and despite the fluffy ears and and tail you wear from time to time, you can't talk rabbit. She might be even happier with another bunny around. BUT you know her best so do what is best for her. but as you know, as a rule bunny's are social animals. Not been much help really have I. I just want you to get another :angel: x

I am a great believer in 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' - if Rosie seems happy then she probably IS happy - and bear in mind with the house being her territory, any bonding would have to be done outside, unless there's a room she's never been in? It's much easier to introduce a female into a male's territory, than it is to introduce a male into a female's territory, because females are a lot more territorial than males.

If you want another bunny for yourself, then you will just have to work at it, but I don't think Rosie's bothered really, since she gets so much attention from you. My 2 single bunnies live outside in hutches, and I barely spend any time with them, so it's nice that they have each other next door, but Rosie's not a lonely bunny, although you are probably rubbish at licking her ears :p

Hi Elve :wave:

Thanks for your comments - really interesting. It was your comment in another thread the other day which made me wonder if getting another bun would be the right thing for Rosie. I think we have a bit more thinking to do about the pros and cons!

Get one get one get one!

Rosie is always asking after Barney so she obviuosely has an interest in other rabbits.

I really think no matter how much time you spend with her and despite the fluffy ears and and tail you wear from time to time, you can't talk rabbit. She might be even happier with another bunny around. BUT you know her best so do what is best for her. but as you know, as a rule bunny's are social animals. Not been much help really have I. I just want you to get another :angel: x

I am PMSL at you lot :lol: :lol: :lol:

Isabel - That's a very good point - Rosie is very interested in Barney and is always telling me what a handsome boy he is :) Oh, and it's my o/h who wears the fluffy ears and tail ... but only at the weekends :shock: Oh gawd, he's going to kill me when he sees this :oops:

Neil - you'd be itching to get another bunny? Really?? You do surprise me ;) Haha, no really, thanks for your input, I kind of do feel she would like the company of another bun.

Joanne - thanks for your excitement :D That is really sweet :lol: If we do get another, I'll try and make sure he is more photogenic than Rosie ;) :lol:

Oh, and Bavarian Bunny - love your new siggy :D Come on and enter the sunflower competition everyone!!

But rosie is lovely... and all the photos you post of her are great, you dont post enough piccies of her! You could always go to a rescue... travel somewhere and get a young bunny like i did with polo and opal as they should be easier to bond? I dont know really, i could be talking complete rubbish.. i really hope you decide to get another bunny x

But rosie is lovely... and all the photos you post of her are great, you dont post enough piccies of her! You could always go to a rescue... travel somewhere and get a young bunny like i did with polo and opal as they should be easier to bond? I dont know really, i could be talking complete rubbish.. i really hope you decide to get another bunny x

Could be?? :lol: :lol:

Back