• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

shredded office paper

Bunnymonster

Warren Scout
I've just filled my office shredder with scrap paper, and was wondering if it's safe to use in litter trays?

I used to use small bits for nesting material for my gerbil, but now he's gone and I'm swamped with the stuff. My only worry is the inks if the buns were to eat some. Does anyone else use it? If not, I'll stick it in the recycling bin.

I know a lot of people use newspaper and shredded paper, but just watch that your bunnies don't eat lots of it.

I can't have cardboard or paper anywhere near Rosie as she eats it and we're pretty sure it caused gut stasis problems. As long as your buns don't eat it, it should be OK.

I know a lot of people use newspaper and shredded paper, but just watch that your bunnies don't eat lots of it.

I can't have cardboard or paper anywhere near Rosie as she eats it and we're pretty sure it caused gut stasis problems. As long as your buns don't eat it, it should be OK.

My boy buns are exactly the same, they just sit and eat it :shock: Which is why i dont use newspaper or give them any cardboard! They had a tube, but they havnt eaten or attempted to eat that yet.

I'll try it over the weekend and see how they get on. Not too sure of it's absorbant qualities yet. Newspaper is poor quality paper so it soaks it up nicely, but this is shinier (sp?) so I don't know if it'll work anyway. Only one way to find out. The buns used to eat everything in site, but now they have a whole room to play in, they only seem interested in getting through the bars of the metal baby gate!

My boy buns are exactly the same, they just sit and eat it :shock: Which is why i dont use newspaper or give them any cardboard! They had a tube, but they havnt eaten or attempted to eat that yet.

:wave: I didn't realise your boys were cardboard-chompers too :shock: What do you use in their trays? We just use hay now, which is a bit yucky when it comes to cleaning out :mrgreen: but at least is safe :D

I'll try it over the weekend and see how they get on. Not too sure of it's absorbant qualities yet. Newspaper is poor quality paper so it soaks it up nicely, but this is shinier (sp?) so I don't know if it'll work anyway. Only one way to find out. The buns used to eat everything in site, but now they have a whole room to play in, they only seem interested in getting through the bars of the metal baby gate!

You can only try I suppose, but you're right that the better quality paper may not absorb much. Good luck :wave:

Duchess always had shredded paper underneath her straw and hay, and it absorbed quite well. It was copy paper, not newspaper, so probably the same that you have. I never saw her eat any of it. Normally I use folded newspaper, but Duchess used to pull that out of the litter try and shred it, so I assumed she prefers her paper that way. :lol:

Back