• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rearguard alternative?

sherbert

Young Bun
Hi,

I have recently been to my vet for vaccinations of my 2 buns, and while i was there i thought i would pick up some reargaurd. Unfortunately my vets did not have any in, and apparently there is a problem in manufacturing, so they do not expect to get any in for months!
Does anybody know any alternatives to rearguard, or any vets in Kent where i might be able to get some rearguard?(my vet seemed to think if they have the problem so would everyone else)
Any help much appreciated.

Sarah

Beaphar Fly Guard is good, can be brought in Pet Shops at about £10 per bottle and lasts for 3 months per application. We usually treat 10 bunnies per bottle so its good value.

I bought Rearguard to use as a precaution on my big frenchie before I went on holiday, but as she has now lost her weight and can reach her bum again I didn't use it.
I paid £15.00 for it, and if anyone wants to buy it from me just PM me - I'll cover postage.

We use iton all our rabbit regardless of whether they can reach or not, isnt it worth using just in case?

We use iton all our rabbit regardless of whether they can reach or not, isnt it worth using just in case?

I bought it 'cos mum was living at mine for the week looking after my buns, and she can't tip them.
My main worry was for BB as although she never has a mucky bum, because she was overweight I didn't think she could yet reach her bum, which she proved otherwise to me the day after I bought the Rearguard!

TBH the main thing that put me off Rearguard was the instructions that said that the rabbit might not eat well for a few days following treatment - to me that was more of a risk - especially with me being away.
I bought some Flyfree - the sort that lasts 5 days - instead as that didn't have any conta-indications on it.

What make is rearguard and where can it be bought?

You can only get it from your vet as it is a prescription drug 9which seems daft as it is a preventative rather than a cure).
Bun normally has to have been seen by the vet within the last 12 months to get a prescription, otherwise I think there will be a consultation charge on top.

I thought that you can buy it over the counter only if you're a registered patient whose bunny has been seen recently it is still a prescription drug - you can't buy it over the internet for the very reason you need a prescription for it :? and the internet sites say it's POM. I guess prescription drugs are based on the risks etc rather than what they do. Personally I don't rearguard any of my healthy happy buns as I don't like to pump them with chemicals. As long as they are clean and dry with no messy bum, they aren't particularly at risk, although obviously I do check!

Another alternative which some vets prefer is xenex ultra spot on (warning - it's extremely toxic to cats so be careful!) which is a couple of drops on the back of the neck. Whereas rearguard stops the eggs from hatching on the areas it's been applied, xenex is systemic so it stops any hatched maggots from growing and eating into the bun. One vet I spoke to prefers this as she has seen rearguarded rabbits still get flystrike on a different part of their body to where the rearguard has been applied.

Last edited:
Should we be using a preventative against flystrike during summer? I have just been checking bums daily and keeping litter trays clean, I hope thats enough because I just assumed the rearguard stuff was for more at risk bunnies :oops:

Should we be using a preventative against flystrike during summer? I have just been checking bums daily and keeping litter trays clean, I hope thats enough because I just assumed the rearguard stuff was for more at risk bunnies :oops:

It's not something I'd use routinely because of the amount of chemicals.
I think good husbandry is the key - same as you, change litter trays at least daily and keep living quarters clean and check bums daily:D

It's not something I'd use routinely because of the amount of chemicals.
I think good husbandry is the key - same as you, change litter trays at least daily and keep living quarters clean and check bums daily:D

Cool, I worried then that everyone was using it and I should be doing the same :oops: Thanks :D

I agree with Alison and BB, I just check my buns bottoms twice a day, both are good weights and keep themselves very clean but I still do it as a precaution. I don't use chemicals unless absolutely neccessary.

Vinnie now has arthritis and gets bathed once a week as he struggles to wash his back legs but manages his bum and his poops are fine and never stick so im lucky :)

I do use assisi grooming lotion once a week to keep fleas away because there is a cat with fleas that comes in our garden and I cant catch it to put on a frontline, and I use the buzz of stuff from bunny basics on the hutches and runs so hopefully mine will be ok as long as they are checked all the time :D

I apply it every 3 months from spring til end of summer. I have up to 14 rabbits here though and would hate to miss ones bum check one day. It gives me peace of mind.

Back