• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! Something is wrong with Millie

louandjoe

Alpha Buck
Millie is unusally quiet tonight, and she's not running away when I stroke her. She's just sat in the corner, and keeps sorting of backing up into the corner.

I've felt her tummy and she keeps thin and really sort of hollow around her back - Joe's been home all day and said she's been her normal perky self but there is definately something wrong.

Her tummy feels a little bit hard so just gave her a little tummy rub. She seems really lethargic and I'm really worried.

She is having a big moult at the moment, could this be linked? ie if she's been grooming and digested alot of hair?

Going to ring the vets, is there anything else I can be doing?

oh gosh im sorry shes not herself. i dont know what to advise i should speak to your vet as you say, but sending lots of love and good thoughts to the little lass x x:(

Hi there. This is exactly what my bunnies do when they have gas. They look so hollow and drawn in around their tummies as well as being lethargic

Have you got any Infacol in the house? I would give her 2mls of this. It can be purchased in Tesco in the baby aisle. I would also put your hand under her belly and gently pat/rub her tummy. You could try giving her some fluids if you have a little syringe handy, boil the kettle and let it cool to a warm temperature, often makes them feel a bit better. Warmth is important too as well as a gut stimulant if this doesn't make her feel better.

Hope she feels better soon

Fiona x

We went to get some Infancol and gave her 2ml of that, as well as syringing some water and lots of tummy rubs.

She seems a bit more active now and has done 2 poos and drank some water herself.

We're going to sit up with her - gonna take sleep shifts so it's my turn to sit up with her for now whilst Joe sleeps. Just hope we see some more poos or I'll ring the vets to get a gut stimulant.

We have more poos, but they are stringy with bit of hair :?:oops: At least there are poos though.

Hopefully she'll be ok now, just need to ensure she's eating lots of hay.

Sounds like she has a bit of fur in there, my Smokey is the same when she moults.

I give my lot papaya tablets from Oxbow and it has really helped. I think you can buy bromain tablets from Holland & Barret that work the same though. In the meantime, I'd give her plenty of hay and see if you can get her to take some pure pineapple juice or eat some fresh pineapple, the enzyme will help the fur pass.

She's alot better today thank you, eaten all her food and running round like there wasn't anything wrong yesterday!

She is still moulting huge amounts, so I've been grooming her lots today to get as much surplus fur out as I can and she's also eaten a bit of fresh pineapple

Fingers crossed! Thanks for your help & suggestions :D

Back