• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Landlord kicked me out because of rabbits.

Ivor/Anna

Warren Scout
Its my own fault, I couldnt resist Ivor, then I had to get Anna to keep him company. I was never allowed pets in my flat, and now they have found out and they want us all out!!

I love my little flat, we have lived here for a year with the rabbits and they have never noticed before and there has never been any damage. Basically they did a surprise visit while we were away for a few days and I hadn't had a chance to tidy up properly with all the packing and stuff. The inspector noticed bits of hay on the floor!
They sent a letter saying 'we assume you have a rabbit and as pets are not allowed we expect you to remove the animals' There is no way I'm giving them up so I have to move, my boyfriend isnt impressed but he will get over it.

They entered your flat whilst you weren't there? They're not allowed to do that unless it's an emergency (fire/flood etc.).

Was it an agency that did the inspection? Write to the landlord to apologise and explain the precautions you take to prevent damage (e.g. caging them when you're not in or using a run), offer a slightly higher deposit against damages and ask if they'd be willing to let you stay. The landlord may be more forgiving than the agency that just follow the rules to the letter.

Tam

I'm sure they are not allowed to do 'suprise' visits. I think they have to give you 48 hours notice. So although you've broken your contract they have also broken theirs. If it is really hard for you to move could you come to some arrangement with them. Saying you though it only applied to cats or dogs?

Yes they have definitely broken the law by entering the property without your permission/giving you notice! Tamsin's idea about the deposit is a good one, as is speaking to the landlord/lady personally instead of an agent. I would plead ignorance and say you thought caged animals were OK (don't say they are free range whatever you do) - I live in a council house and it's only dogs and cats they have rules on.

It's actually written into some contracts that the landlord/agency can enter at their discretion particuarly with student lets. If they were away then the landlords would not have had to wait until they got back. I would get intouch with them though and see what they say.

I am going to speak to them tomorrow to see what I can work out. I have a feeling they just want us out now as they have been doing a lot of inspections, so much so that I went in and complained! I think they were trying to catch us out, i think the landlord wants to sell the flats.
Jus tin case we cant work anything out, I have a viewing of a flat down the road which is pet friendly and £25 a month cheaper. Hopefully it has a big kitchen with an unchewable flooring.:D Im a bit excitied actually.

I am going to speak to them tomorrow to see what I can work out. I have a feeling they just want us out now as they have been doing a lot of inspections, so much so that I went in and complained! I think they were trying to catch us out, i think the landlord wants to sell the flats.

In reality it's not your bunny. They are using your bunny as an excuse due to inflating housing prices. They made more money by selling your flat. IF you don't have bunnies, they'll find another excuse on the contract to force you out. This happen quite often over here as well

I manage rental properties for my company. A landlord must give 24 hrs notice before visiting unless you specifically ask them to come over. There is no reason for him to do surprise inspections, if they want you out they just have to give you one months notice to vacate the property.

Unfortunatley you are both in the wrong, but he has been very bad in not giving you notice. If it gets out of hand you can at least throw that at him!

Definatley go with the pet friendly option, it will give you peace of mind.

if they want you out they just have to give you one months notice to vacate the property.

Two months (minimum) and a section 21 notice :) I just gave notice to my tenant.

:lol: we're only doing cos my little sis is moving in (the house if half her's too).

Tam

Thanks for your help, if this new flat falls through then atleast I have some leverage with the curretn estate agents and wont end up with me and bunnies on the streets!

The new fla tI looked at was really nice and we are hoping to take it, unfortunately there are three other people interested. :cry:

Back