• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Quick Antibiotic Question

Do you need pro-biotic with Baytril?

• Definately- You must!

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Not necissary but just incase!

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Not at all!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never used it!

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
With Baytril is probiotic necisary? Is there an alternative- eg a certain food that will help?

Other antibiotics I heard will make bunnies ill because of the natural bacteria in the stomach but my vet assures me this is not the case with baytril. It is 2.5% oral given at 0.1ml twice daily.

Already answered on your other thread, but I had a guinea pig that got severe diarrhoea and stomach pain from Baytril. Probiotics sorted it all out.

Already answered on your other thread, but I had a guinea pig that got severe diarrhoea and stomach pain from Baytril. Probiotics sorted it all out.

yeah- saw that but you said 'interesting to see what others say' so i thought id let them say it here :D Thanks- is pro-biotic only available from vets?

Sorry - I wasn't having a go at all!! :D Didn't mean it to sound stroppy!!

You can get probiotics online. The best one I've found is Entrodex, but Avipro is fairly good.

i use pro-biotics when buns are on baytril, its good for the gut bacteria as baytrill can kill of the good bacteria

biolapis i use!

I very much doubt it.. i got some of the bioplapis from the vets, and i bought the rest online, its a good idea to give them probiotics for a couple of days after the course of baytrill has finished too... you just sprinkle it on their nuggets... its not cheap though, but i do believe it is important... sending vibes for theo x

I give my lot probiotics all the time. I use Avipro, they seem to like it and it isn't too expensive because the tubs last for ages.

My vets sell Biolapis for about a £1 a sachet but the sachet lasts for about a week, you only need a pinch each time.

got pets at home probiotic powder with added vitamin c, fibre and glucose for healthy digesition. £4.99 a tub.

Also, got some small animal tea tree lotion for dry skin, itchiness and minor skin wounds. Put it on my excema and it feels ok :D

I get my biolapis on line from Penstone. I know Pets at Home do sell a probiotic (different make but equally effective) if you have an emergency, as normally I would not put pennies in their pot. Vets always have it in stock because they give it to dogs. Try your vet again and ask them to sell you some - should be £5.00 a strip.

The instructions for the biolapis is one whole packet to water - not sure that a pinch would be effective Frisky.

NB Note on other thread that you now have acquired a probiotic.

Last edited:
I used to use Bio-Lapis but now we get through so much I get the 300g pots of Avi-Pro Plus. I give it to all underweight rabbits, anyone who has had an anaesthetic for 1 week and anyone on any antibitotics for the duration and 1 week after.

All in all I find it very helpful, plus Avi-Pro is great for mixing into baby food for emergency liquid feeds as it also has soluble fibre added into it.

Back