• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sugarplum only had half the op

touie

Wise Old Thumper
:shock:

A vet I'd never seen before did the op and when i dropped her off I thought it was going to be my vet doing it :( and he only managed to take her top teeth out as he was worried about leaving her under the anaesthetic too long :?

So I'm guessing that only doing half the op was worse than not doing it at all, her teeth only needed burring every 4-5 months before!!! he's cut her bottom teeth right back but how quickly do they grow? :shock: and i guess that means she's going to have to have another anaesthetic to sort them out in the end!!!

she's not home yet I have to phone in about half an hour to see when I can pick her up

that's a bit odd, but maybe she wasn't reacting well to the anaesthetic, or maybe he's a newbie and very slow at operations :rolleyes:

Hope she's well soon and the teeth aren't too much bother left in.

Same happened with Pringle on Tuesday
He was going in to get his teeth burring and castrated but he only got his teeth done as the vet said she didnt want to put him under more GA as its a higher risk and by time she done teeth she didnt feel he would be under the GA long enough to get castrated as well.

Their teeth grow quite quick im sure my vet said its pretty much a centimetre a week (cane be 100% sure but its something like that) and thats how they have to eat straw/grass etc to grind them down the same speed as they grow.

Hope everything is ok:D

1cm a week :shock:

she's home now very lethargic though I put some raisins in with her pellets and she looked really excited but didn't eat any, I gues her mouth must be really sore :cry:

Yea it maybe is, did she get any pain killers or that? Pringle normally takes a wee while to eat when hes had his done. Hopefully she will perk up a bit later and fancy something :D

I think it's about a cm a month :)

It's very weird they removed one set. They won't wear at all now so they'll probably need burring every 3-6 weeks :?

It sounds like a slightly dodgy job so they may regrow anyway.

Tam

yes i spoke when I picked her up, when they need doing they're going to do them for free it's just a shame she'll have to have another op :( and I wasn't sure about having them done in the first place as they weren't that bad! Just wish it had have been my vet!!!

I think it's about a cm a month :)

It's very weird they removed one set. They won't wear at all now so they'll probably need burring every 3-6 weeks :?

It sounds like a slightly dodgy job so they may regrow anyway.

Tam

that could be right :oops:

Back