• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which rabbit is more susceptible to summer heat? Big or small?

What rabbit is more susceptible to heat? Big or small?

• Big rabbit

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Medium size rabbit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • small rabbit

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • all susceptible to heat regardless of body size

Votes: 5 35.7%

• Total voters
I'd say a big rabbit - smaller animals lose bodyheat faster (that's why animals like field mice have to constantly eat to survive). Bigger rabbits also have more stress on their internal organs due to their size

Theoretically, a large rabbit since they have a smaller surface area to volume ratio therefore they will loose less surface heat than a small rabbit.
But I guess it depends. Large ears would probably be advantageous to heat loss and it would depend on the coat etc too :D

My buns are nearly all the ame size but if its anything like dogs the big ones suffer more.

I think any animal big or small is suseptable to heat stroke due to having to wear fur but I would say that black furred animals are probable more suseptable than most as black absorbs heat and white deflects heat;)

Not sure of the size of the rabbits, but ears may well play a big role in keeping a rabbit cool.
Access heat escape trhough the ears, so a rabbit with small ears have a bigger chance of overheating than one with big ears.
That's also why bunnies born in the summer often have bigger ears than those born in the winter, the little bunnies adjust to the climate.

I think any animal big or small is suseptable to heat stroke due to having to wear fur but I would say that black furred animals are probable more suseptable than most as black absorbs heat and white deflects heat;)

you are kidding? That only applies to paint material. Not animal fur.

I was told by Radar's breeder that giants get very hot very quickly due to their size and discouraged me from putting a heater in the shed. She suggested it important more for him than any others he had acess to an outside run to cool down and its true he uses it all the time! :D

My little ones will happily bask in the sun, even though they have shade.

Obviously any animal can get heat stroke but larger animals are going to dislike the heat more I would have thought.

Last edited:
you are kidding? That only applies to paint material. Not animal fur.

nope, not kidding, my vet also said the same as my one cat who was black hated the heat, couldn't cope with it and was forever under the fan where as, my white cat would sun bathe for hours, probably why he acquired cancer on his ear:( as Tam says, it applies to everything black or white;) :p

Back