• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D - BACK FROM VETS- poor theo

Jemma&Theo

Mama Doe
I went to feed the buns today and theo has been moulting. Hes had an inconsistent patch of fur which i thought was partof the moult for a few days.

Today It looked a little bald so I parted the fur and found this:

poorlytheo.jpg

It looks like a red old cut / dry skin. Im thinking maybe mites but there is a bald patch around it a little bigger than a 2p coin but because his fur is so long i didnt see it before.

The vets is closed now but will be calling asap tomorrow morning. I have put some anti chew spray on it that the vets gave me for operational wounds as the 3 big black dots are where it seems he has pulled fur.

Ithink it is very unlikeley that cleo has done this as she runs off from him all the time and would never attack him.

Have been upset all night and even shed a few tears i feel so guilty i didnt notice it before....

Help what is it? a ;lil dry skin in the fur so maybe mites???? please help

Went to the vets!!!

She firstly prescribed a short 5 day course of Baytril antibiotic 2.5% oral at 0.1ml twice daily. (should this be kept in the fridge?) This was to prevent the cut going infected and turning into an abcess.

Secondly she said although theo DIDNT look like he had mites but maybe worth treating him for it as he DID have flaky skin.

When I asked her how much the mite treatment was she said £5 today, £16 consultation and £5 next week and then £16 and £5 the week after and then £16 and £5 to complete Cleos course as there isnt much point treating ONE animal. So to treat them both for mites works out about £70 in total.

I was shocked- I said we would stick with the anti-biotics this week and see if the cut healed and fur grew back. If not then I will treat for mites NEXT WEEK but I want to be sure bofore spending £70.

So- this baytril.... I asked weather a pro-biotic supplement was necissary but she assured me this type was safe on bunnies tummys. I must administer via syringe so Im going to mix it with pine-apple juice for him. What should I exoect? A runny tum maybe????? And does it need to go in the fridge?

Last edited:
ive also thought maybe i have nicked him with my nail when picking him up by the scruff but surely it wouldnt have looked like this....

Jemma is there any way you could get a clearer pic? If it doesnt seem to be bothering him i wouldn't worry to much, get the vets to have a look in the morning and if it is mites then it's very easily treated. And don't beat yourself up some of theses things are hard to spot xxxx

Hiya,

Firstly, your not a bad bunny mum. They've got thick fur and thin skin so a small cut is easy to miss. They also heal quickly so it may have only been there a day or two :)

The black spots look like the new fur growing through. The fur tips are darker so it always looks funny just as the fur goes through the skin. If they moult heavily they can end up with bald patches with dark patches where the fur comes through.

If it looks a bit scabby then treating for mites might be a good idea.

Tam

Jemma is there any way you could get a clearer pic? If it doesnt seem to be bothering him i wouldn't worry to much, get the vets to have a look in the morning and if it is mites then it's very easily treated. And don't beat yourself up some of theses things are hard to spot xxxx

My phone took this- will try later for a clearer pic but It was the best I couldget at the time.

It is bothering him as he has pulled fur around it and it is flaky- must ich like hell!!!

If it is mites... how are they treated? I also feel guilty for the anti- chew bitter spray but if i didnt I was scared he would nibble it lots.

With regards to the jab- he hasnt but cleo had a myxi jab 1-2 weeks ago. He couldnt catch myxi from her having the jab could he??

Please help clearit up - its def not myxi or vhd is it???

Hiya,

Firstly, your not a bad bunny mum. They've got thick fur and thin skin so a small cut is easy to miss. They also heal quickly so it may have only been there a day or two :)

The black spots look like the new fur growing through. The fur tips are darker so it always looks funny just as the fur goes through the skin. If they moult heavily they can end up with bald patches with dark patches where the fur comes through.

If it looks a bit scabby then treating for mites might be a good idea.

Tam

thanks- i feel awful- but will be going to the vets tomorrow evening if they have a free apointment- will call at 9:00 when they open and take him after work if poss

It wont be VHd or myxi no jemma so don't worry about that. If it is mites then both Theo and cleo will need a panamec injection from the vets they usually do them in a course of three over 2 weeks i think but check with your vet on that one. If it's just a old cut which has heald then the flakyness will just be the skin being a little dry from not being covered with fur and Tamsins right about the black bits it does look very like new fur coming back xx

My phone took this- will try later for a clearer pic but It was the best I couldget at the time.

It is bothering him as he has pulled fur around it and it is flaky- must ich like hell!!!

If it is mites... how are they treated? I also feel guilty for the anti- chew bitter spray but if i didnt I was scared he would nibble it lots.

With regards to the jab- he hasnt but cleo had a myxi jab 1-2 weeks ago. He couldnt catch myxi from her having the jab could he??

Please help clearit up - its def not myxi or vhd is it???

No I didn't mean to scare you, Gus often gets a scab on the scuff of his neck after a jab so i was just wondering if it could be that.

Yes, as everyone else has said, DON'T panic! (Okay.....I KNOW this is easier said than done - especially has my Vet told me a while ago, 'You have hypochondria for your rabbits!':oops: ) But I am sure it is nothing serious - you're a GOOD bunny mummy and he will be JUST fine!:D

Let us know what the Vet says!:D

ok will update tomorrow- vets 2moz (sorry theo)

thanks all- feel better to know its not myxi or vhd-

theo is vacd for vhd and cleo is for myxi. money has been tight recently so i thought if they had opposite jabs if the worse happened then only one would fall ill. I know thats harsh but im stressing about it. Will be sorted soon :(

Is it where he had his jab? It does look like it could be a bit of a circle. It can take them awhile to come up after a jab.

Tam

Hi Jemma,

I'm sure it will be nothing serious with Theo, try not to worry.

Following on from what Tamsin said, Rosie had a bald patch (looked a bit similar to Theo's) where she lost fur after her VHD jab and it bothered her for a while, but new fur grew back and it was fine -

DSC02426.jpg

he hasnt had a jab- cleo has

theo had his last jab last october....

tomorrow i will know- hopefully-

i just hope she dont say 'keep an eye on it' without givin him anythin- i hate to see him suffering

have i done a bad thing spraying the anti chew bitter spray on it? it made sense at the time?

he hasnt had a jab- cleo has

theo had his last jab last october....

tomorrow i will know- hopefully-

i just hope she dont say 'keep an eye on it' without givin him anythin- i hate to see him suffering

have i done a bad thing spraying the anti chew bitter spray on it? it made sense at the time?

Oh, right, sorry - thought you meant he had just had his VHD jab.

Don't know anything about the bitter spray, sorry.

I'm sure he'll be fine. I can't bear it when anything is wrong with Rosie either - I get so stressed. Let us know what the vet says :)

Im so shocked!!! I looked at the pics I took of him 3 days ago and the marks are there clear as day? How could i not notice?

Thought It was part of the moult!

Im so silly :(

theochopped.jpg

poorly2.jpg

theowash.jpg

poorly3.jpg

bunnylove.jpg

me......impatient with photobucket :(

poorly4.jpg

im so angry with myself

Last edited:
Oh, right, sorry - thought you meant he had just had his VHD jab.

Don't know anything about the bitter spray, sorry.

I'm sure he'll be fine. I can't bear it when anything is wrong with Rosie either - I get so stressed. Let us know what the vet says :)

Thanks x x x They have never been ill before :(

I posted aaaallllll these pics in 'stories and photos' bwt 3 days ago- its only when i look back that it is apparent

he always has sticky up bits etc! :(

Last edited:
Hiya chick, don't feel bad. From reading the thread, and looking at the pic, I think it is very very early signs on maybe mites. Nothing at all serious, and can easily be cleared up in no time at all.
Rabbits are prone to it at this time of year, as they are (usually) a little run down with the heat (in this case rain! :lol: ), and are going through moults, which is a tough time for them.

It's probably not bothering him so much at the moment, and his mark could have been made from one over-enthusiastic scratch! Like Tamsin said, rabbits skin is very thin, so it doesn't take much to scratch it.

You've caught in early, and can be treated and cleared up in no time at all. You've done an excellent job spotting it and getting treatment fast! No bunny could ask for more :D

I know how worrying it can be though for us bunny mums.....I'm currently going through the stress and worry with Billy.

Went to the vets!!!

She firstly prescribed a short 5 day course of Baytril antibiotic 2.5% oral at 0.1ml twice daily. (should this be kept in the fridge?) This was to prevent the cut going infected and turning into an abcess.

Secondly she said although theo DIDNT look like he had mites but maybe worth treating him for it as he DID have flaky skin.

When I asked her how much the mite treatment was she said £5 today, £16 consultation and £5 next week and then £16 and £5 the week after and then £16 and £5 to complete Cleos course as there isnt much point treating ONE animal. So to treat them both for mites works out about £70 in total.

:eek::eek::eek: I was shocked- I said we would stick with the anti-biotics this week and see if the cut healed and fur grew back. If not then I will treat for mites NEXT WEEK but I want to be sure bofore spending £70.

So- this baytril.... I asked weather a pro-biotic supplement was necissary but she assured me this type was safe on bunnies tummys. I must administer via syringe so Im going to mix it with pine-apple juice for him. What should I exoect? A runny tum maybe????? And does it need to go in the fridge?

Hmm... you shouldn't have to pay a consultation fee when it's just an agreed treatment plan. although, having said that, the consultation fee for my vets is about £38 per rabbit!! :shock:

Baytril shouldn't need to be kept in the fridge, and I'd use a probiotic during and after treatment. Will be interested to see what others think.

Back