• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Half wild buns

Ben's mum

Warren Veteran
Would half wild buns always be agouti? I know this happens with wild x pet rat babies as agouti is the dominant gene

I think it would depend on the mum. If you breed a pet agouti with a non agouti you don't always end up with agouti so presumably it's the same for wild crosses.

Tam

It all depends if the aguti is "pure" aguti or carries another colour.
We once breed two aguti lop dwarves at school and got one black kit:roll:
Turned out both rabbits carried black, though they were aguti.
Don't know what the genetics are with wild rabbits but...

It all depends if the aguti is "pure" aguti or carries another colour.
We once breed two aguti lop dwarves at school and got one black kit:roll:
Turned out both rabbits carried black, though they were aguti.
Don't know what the genetics are with wild rabbits but...

Yeah that's why I wondered as I'm not clued up on bun genetics. No matter what the other parent is, wild rat x pet rats are always agouti (apparently)

We have some 'wild' rabbits on a race track near where I live... A few years ago, black ones started to appear amongst the normal agouti ones... I'm not entirely sure, but there was talk of someone 'releasing' a pet rabbit there... But now it's pretty 50/50 in terms of colour... Dunno if that helps at all...

All "wild" rabbis in Norway are domesticated escapes (or let lose) so I wouldn't really know:lol:
Normally all offpsring of a "pure" aguti will be aguti, but if it carries another colour they can end up in other colours.
The aguti female at school usually produces agutis, but it's often some blacks in the litter and one day she got a broken chestnut aguti:D
Also, both Sasuke and Zakura has aguti mothers (Zakura's mom is a chestnut aguti like her, Sasuke's mom is Castor) but they still produced non-aguti offspring (as you can see by Sasuke, he's black:D )

That's a good point, I know of one field near me that a black pet rabbit escaped in to and there were quite a few black rabbits turned up in the colony.

Tam

I can see how if agouti was dominant (e.g. AA or Aa) you could have wild x buns that "carried" black or another colour - then if these babies bred together you could get blacks. Not sure if that's how the genetics would work though. But what about a pure wild rabbit crossed with a pet bun?

My local RSPCA had a pair of crosses that were agouti but with a white splodge by their nose.

Tam

There have been quite a large number of black and black and white babies born in a warren not far from us over the past couple of years, too.

Black rabbits will occur in the wild, Black is a resessive gene in the wild population so you will get them naturally. we had a litter of wild x's, dad waswild mum was an old english x dwarf lop, she looked like an old english but smaller and had grey and white colouring. She had 7 babys, 3 agouti, one pure black, and 3 spotted, one of the spotted was black the other two were agouti spotted.

Back