• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Questions about 2 sisters - missing fur

spider

Warren Scout
Hi :wave:

I have just joined the forum and introduced myself in the introductions section. I am wondering if I can pick your brains so to speack about the two buns I've just taken in?

They seem to be very well bonded but have patches of fur missing on their backs. I first thought this may be due to mite, lice of fleas but could see no evidence of either. I read that even sisters can have hormone problems that could lead to fights, so they may need spaying?

The other thing that I read was that they can suffer from fungal infections. These girls do have a little dry skin where the fur is missing. They also have small patched where the fur is growing back so this is obviously a problem they have had for some time. I am happy to take them to the vet for treatment but wanted to be armed with some information as my vets a very good at listening but not so good on the knowledge of small animals. That comes of living in a rural area with vets that mostly deal with farm animals, cats and dogs.

These girls were in a small plastic hutch that was very damp due to being exposed to the weather. Their food was soaked through and their water bottle very green. They are now inside a shed in a 4 ft hutch that I know still isn't big enough but its dry and they have fresh dry hay, water and proper food. They enjoyed being out in the run yesterday!

Any help would be most appreciated :D And pics are to follow..

Hi, :wave:

It may be that they have been mounting each other as it sounds like they have been in a stressful situation. I had this problem with two of my rabbits. It was when they felt anxious, when they went to a boarding place they always came back with a bare patch on the top of their backs. We stopped taking them! Are they spayed? That might also help them get on. I hope that helps.

could be from mounting eachother but it could be mites. they look a bit like dandruff? my mums bun had mites and it was worse over her shoulders. have you checked inside the ears ? you need to check there too as mites in the ears are really unpleasant for them. if you can afford it id take them for a vet check up and arrange spaying too. however if you check the internet for info on mites and you think they may have them you can get a spot on treatment (by beaphar i think) from vetmedic (online) which will treat mites.
id favour a vet check over that though.
good luck with them- how lucky they are to have come to live with you!!:bunny: :bunny: :love:
come to think of it, PAH may stock the spot on treatment but im not certain i dont go in there much;)

i have copied this info for you but please DONT use frontline or stronghold, they are not suited to rabbits at all.
*Cheyletiella mites

Cheyletiella is probably the most common skin problem in rabbits. If you've heard people referring to "mites", chances are this is what they were talking about. Some vets call it "mange mite".

The hallmark of Cheyletiella infection is a patch of dandruff in one particular area of the coat (often on the back, either above the tail or in the nape of the neck), although occasionally it can become much more extensive. It's also called "walking dandruff" because sometimes you can see the dandruff moving due to the activities of the mite! The creatures themselves are too small to be seen with the naked eye.

The mites themselves feed on keratin, which is why infestation tends to develop in areas where dead hair accumulates because they're trickly for bunny to groom thoroughly, namely the nape of the neck and just above the tail. So, if your rabbit has any condition that restricts it's ability to groom itself (dental problem, arthritis, sore hocks, poor balance, obesity), check particularly carefully for mites and seek veterinary advice about tackling the underlying problem.

The sources of Cheyletiella infection are hotly debated. Many vets suspect that many bunnies have low grade infestations that are not detectable at all until either something triggers the mite population to flare up from time to time, or the rabbit can no longer keep the mite population in check by effective grooming. Cheyletiella mites travel on hay, and can carry myxomatosis.

Treating Cheyletiella isn't usually difficult, but may take time. Grooming the areas of dandruff helps by removing the dead hair and dander upon which the mites feed, as does regular application of a cat flea powder. Some vets still treat this condition using medicated baths. This works, but bathing is stressful to bunnies and can be avoided by using other treatments.

Most rabbits vets treat Chyletiella infestation with a course of at least three ivermectin injections given at 7 to 10 day intervals. It's important to finish the course of treatment even if the condition seems to have disappeared. Although ivermectin isn't licensed for use in rabbits, it has been widely used for a number of years without any reported problems.

However, there have been recent developments in treating this condition and some rabbit vets are starting to utilise alternatives to ivermectin. For example, good results are being reported with "Stronghold", a drop-on insecticidal drug used in dogs. Stronghold is from the same chemical family as ivermectin, so it's a logical choice. On the other hand, rabbit deaths have been linked to "Frontline" (it's thought that the carrier chemicals are the problem, not the active ingredient, which is why some vets will use this drug on rabbits with careful dosing and great caution) and some experts feel that the safest option is to stick with the tried and tested ivermectin injections.

Cheyletiella can affect humans. Textbooks of human dermatology describe children developing a rash on their tummy that clears up when the pet is treated but we've yet to hear of a houserabbit owner being affected.

If your bunny develops problems with mites (or ringworm and fleas for that matter) you will need to treat the rabbit's home and bedding. Cheyletiella in particular can survive in the environment (e.g. hutches made from unsealed wood) and re-infect the bunny. Your vet will suggest suitable control strategies. *

note;-
the spot on treatment i suggested contains ivermectin.

Thanks for the helpful replies :D

No Wilbur they aren't spayed. Its certainly something I will consider as I'm aware that despite being sisters their hormones may cause them to fall out. They are certainly anxious after having only been wtith their previous owners about a month and in that time having moved house and then coming to me. They are very inquisitive and will approach you but aren't all that used to being handled.

Cheyletiella sounds like the mites that pet rats suffer from. Again no one seems to know whether they are an underlying problem that flares up under stress or illness. Their ears are clear thankfully. I've seen nasty ear mite infestations in cats and general mites in a guinea pig. Not very nice at all. These girls don't seem to have any signs of mites like those I've seen before and only have a little dry skin on the one rabbit. I haven't noticed them scratching or over grooming either. I need to spend more time with the observing their behaviour to see if there is a dominance problem.

I'd still like to take them to the vets for a general check up.

Here are some pics:

DSCN3573b.jpg

Less affected bun:
DSCN3578b.jpg

Worst fur loss:
DSCN3577b.jpg

Are you sure it's not just a moult? That last picture looks very similar to some I took of Floss a couple of weeks ago:

DSC01993.jpg

DSC01991-1.jpg

Well it looks like I may have been over reacting then. As I said they don't appear to be in any discomfort because of it. I was just worried because of the conditions they were in before. Bless them :bunny:

Those photos look like a moult to me! I have a black bun and she always looks scruffy because her fur is lighter underneath, so she always looks like she has bald spots! Just keep an eye on them and their behaviour, well done for taking them on x Jess

oooh yes they dont look bad at all! like you say keep an eye out for anything unusual but hopefully they will be fine:) sorry for overdoing it on the mites thing:oops: :roll: :lol:

oooh yes they dont look bad at all! like you say keep an eye out for anything unusual but hopefully they will be fine:) sorry for overdoing it on the mites thing:oops: :roll: :lol:

No need to apologise at all. Its very difficult to imagine what people are trying to describe. Pictures really do speak a thousand words. Well at least thats put my mind at rest.

The information on mites is very interesting though and definitely something to watch out for as I can imagine it must be a horrible thing to endure.

Thanks everyone :D

Back