• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Going on holiday - what to do about the creatures!?

Hi all,

hopefully going on a weeks hol in a few weeks - nowt fancy just down the south coast. The last time we went on hols was over 2 years ago, and I didn't have bunnies then, just the two cats. I hired a pet sitter who popped in twice a day to feed and water them.

I have a few concerns:

1) I can't afford a petsitter this time
2) All our friends live 80 or so miles away
3) Our bunnies live free-range, and are only ever shut in the kitchen at night, consequently they make a right mess, hay and poo's everywhere. They are both litter trained, but they just poo everywhere, which is not too bad, except when they do the squashy poo's that they eat, they squash it right into the lino and I have to scrape it off, sweep and then mop the floor. Which takes me about 15 minutes each morning.

So I don't know if its too much to ask the neighbours to pop in, or if thats enough? Feel a bit mean asking them to clean the litter trays, kitchen and stuff. We are friendly with them, but we hardly see each other - working households and stuff.

I do have an outside hutch with a detachable run, but I got that when I only had one bunny and don't think its really big enough for both of them? (Sage house btw). Also as they don't live outside just a bit worried as they'd not be used to it?

What do you think to my dimela?

Not sure I've got any advice about pet sitters, but sounds like you've got a problem with excess caecotrophs going on there. Have you tried cutting down their pellets at all?

I didn't think it was a problem, I just think its Jaspers eating technique, he does have a problem with his teeth (they're misaligned and has them burred every 3 weeks, cos they get too long).

He seems to just squash the poo's and hence leave marks all over the lino.

what about taking them to a boarder? it is much cheaper than a pet sitter... (then you could ask the neighbour to feed/water the cats)
If you were to put them outside - they'd be fine this time of year as it is fairly warm... the size of the hutch isn't too much of a problem, as it is only a temp. arrangement :D

im nt sure how much bunny boarding is down your way but i have my pair booke din in nottingham fro a week in sep,a nd its only costing me £4.50 a day fro teh two of them (they are bonded).

Perhaps if you offer to pay the neighbours you'd feel better about asking them to change litter trays etc. I'd block them in to an area of the house or use the hutch as it'll only be for a short while.

Back