• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oscar's poorly!!

Gingypig

Alpha Buck
:cry: Little tiny Oscar is poorly, last night he started acting strange, losing his balance and falling over, i put him in his bed and he sat falling asleep. then he'd wake up look at me. This was late so I left him alone, this morning he was the same so i rang the vets straight away.

Took him down, the vet said it looked like he had this parasite that affects their balance, i guess it affects the nervous system? So he gave Oscar an injection of dexafort and gave me baytril and panacur to administer daily for a week, then got to take him back. :cry:

He said it is contagous so have to keep him well away from Boo, which he has been anyway as she lives outside and they don't meet or share the same area. I do hope she doesn't catch it thou!!

Anyone any ideas where this may of come from, I have not been in cantact with and other bunnies except my friends which was a while ago.

xxx

Sorry haven,t got a clue where it could have come from.
Sending lots of vibes and hope Oscar gets well soon.

This is what my baby died from, had his mixy jab and it finished him off. I had him a week before he can to live with me but they can have it for a few weeks before they are symptomatic. I would get in touch with your friend as she may want to get treatment for her buns. Boris ended up having fits and died from this but he was only 10 weeks old.:cry:

Good Luck and I hope he gets well soon. I read it is passed in urine and water bowls so make sure you wash your hands before going to your other buns. Had he been panacured before?

Last edited:
It's E cuniculi that he's being treated for - that's what the Panacur is for. How long have you been advised to use it for? Should be 28 days, not 9.

Hope Oscar improves soon. :)

Edit: forgot to say, bunnies can even get E Cuniculi from their mothers when babies, and it can lay dormant, so it could have come from anywhere really.

Vet said treat him for a week and bring him back, i guess he will advise then to keep giving him the panacur. I found a great article about this, I do hope he gets better, I lost my job last week and have had problems with my horses (which tomoro will be sorted) but everything always come at once doesn't it! He's only 9 weeks old and not the best eater, he's so tiny I worry so much for him, I have him in my bedroom now where it is quiet. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Poor little Oscar, I hope he gets well, sounds like he needs lots of TLC and a nice cosy bedroom will probably do the trick. Thinking of you both

I agree with SarahP. I thought he'd be on Pancur for 28 days, not 9? Nine days is for preventative treatment, so you could perhaps ask your vet about giving it to your other bunny also, for nine days, to prevent him/her catching it, too?

Hope your Oscar-bunny improves soon!

I didn't realise he was so little. The good thing is you caught it early enough and I am sure he will be fine. Is he eating, pooing and peeing ok? They can start to wet themselves when they have this so you may want to give him a little check over every now and then.

Thanks everyone, I will ask vet about further treatment of the panacur when we visit next week. Just gave Oscar his panacur and baytril... bless he was so goo, just swollowed nicely then lay his head down on my knee :cry: He seems to be hopping in more of a straight line now. What do you guys think about exercise? before he was in a meduim indoor cage attached to a large run, as he's so tiny he has to hop about 5 times to reach the other end of the indoor cage! now i have him just in the cage as no room for the run in my bedroom and i don't want him injuring himself. will he want to have a hop about the room or shall i keep himin the cage? xxx

:( aww poor bunny, my basil had that, one day she was off balance the next day she couldnt stand up, she kept rolling around and the vets said it was parasites and they had effected her brain, so she had to be put to sleep :cry: :cry:

Best of luck with your bun

Thanks everyone, I will ask vet about further treatment of the panacur when we visit next week. Just gave Oscar his panacur and baytril... bless he was so goo, just swollowed nicely then lay his head down on my knee :cry: He seems to be hopping in more of a straight line now. What do you guys think about exercise? before he was in a meduim indoor cage attached to a large run, as he's so tiny he has to hop about 5 times to reach the other end of the indoor cage! now i have him just in the cage as no room for the run in my bedroom and i don't want him injuring himself. will he want to have a hop about the room or shall i keep himin the cage? xxx

I would allow the little chap to have a hop about if he wants too. Not only will it help keep his spirits up whilst he's poorly it will also help keep his tummy moving things through. Just make sure you keep a close eye on him whilst he is out and about as he may be a bit unco-ordinated whilst his central nervous system is compromised by the inflammatory effects of the EC.

Janex

Oh poor Oscar - hope the meds work - if you've exercised your new bunny in the same area as Oscar she could have caught it as the spores are carried in their wee. Oscar probably caught it from rabbits at the breeders as lots carry it but don't have symptoms till they are stressed, as in a house move etc.

Oscar only met Boo for a brief min when i brought her home and she lives out he is in, they haven't shared any areas together so fingers crossed she hasn't caught it.

He seemed a bit better last night and this morning, he's been eating greens and hay and dried grass and drinking plenty, also he wanted to come out which i think is a good sign. he also seemed to be hopping in a strighter line than before and he had more control over what he was doing.

Thanks for all the vibes, please keep them coming xxx

Back