• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grooming lionheads

lynseybrown

Warren Scout
:wave:
Jingles has got a big mat of fur down by his bottom its like the size of a grape and its really close to his skin and quite hard. As ive been trying to gain his trust i feel that im now ready to try and get rid of it for him.
Any tips on removing it someone suggested dunking his bum in luke warm water and trying to work it loose and away from his skin so it could be removed is this a good idea???

We had this problem with one of the boarders the other month, only it was matted with hard lumps of poo from not being cleaned properly at home. We bought some rabbit shampoo and bathed her in warm water and gently roled it in our fingers until it started to break up and teased it apart. Some of it was so badly matted it did need cutting away, but as you probably know a rabbits skin is like tissue paper and will tear really easily if nicked, so try and get someone else to hold her and keep the scissors/clippers as flat as possible and just gently tease it apart with the tips.

I just cut phoebe's mats off with the scissors. She always seems to get them round her tail. I get someone else to hold her facing me and trim all the matted bits, being very careful not to cut her tail! You need to hold the back legs very tightly so they don't move while you are doing it.

Sorry I just wated to say I know Estelle always uses scissors, I opersonally would not touch a bun with them, there skin is quite stretchy and it would be easy to cut the skin. I always use clippers with my buns, just to be on the safe side.

I'm a bit of a wooss when it comes to getting scissors close to a buns skin so I usually try to cut down the matt and then tease it apart with my fingers - usually works :D

i use scissors mostly but you need to be super careful i sometimes use clippers but its quite difficult i think. i will agree with what others have said about the skin being thin it tears SO easily but matted fur is horrible for the rabbit and can be a health risk so just do your very best and maybe next time you will feel more confident:D believe me- there WILL be a next time:roll: :lol:
PLEASE DO NOT just think that you can comb the knots out- i think you will be much more likely to tear her skin accidentally that way.just my opinion;) , but i do have 5 fluffies and a fluffy cat too so i see knots/mats quite a bit.

Back