• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Rex - Update kidney stones

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Rex has gone to the vets today for some investigations! He is loosing weight and we don't know why, he seems to be eating normally pooing and weeing normally, he went to see Fiona 2 weeks ago and she thought she could hear something in his chest so he was given baytril but Hazel had a good check of him yesterday when she was out vaccinating the buns and a few other things, and she could hear nothing at all, and was quite worried about the weight loss mystery! He is having x-rays and bloods and anything else Hazel can think of whilst he's in, he has Molly with him to keep him company and i will collect him tonight after 5pm if i don't hear anything through the day.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys, i am hoping it's nothing serious but there is part of me that is panicing like mad, as this is how Tilly started :(

Vibes for Rex, hope all goes well for him, just a note Phill.......we had a bunny like that and he was losing weight for no apparant reason and when the vet did her checks he was found to be anaemic, he has medication and is doing well...........might not be the same but it's just a thought.

good luck and keep us posted

Vibes for Rex, hope all goes well for him, just a note Phill.......we had a bunny like that and he was losing weight for no apparant reason and when the vet did her checks he was found to be anaemic, he has medication and is doing well...........might not be the same but it's just a thought.

good luck and keep us posted

Thanks Snowy i never considered aneamia!

The Vets have just rang. Rex had a molar spur right at the back lower right and Morag has removed it but it wasn't causing any of the normal saliva ect. He has had x-rays and bloods taken and the x-rays showed Kidney Stones :shock: Morag is waiting for the bloods to come back to see how much they are affecting his kidney function, if they are she will research how to treat kidney stones ina bun as she had never come across it before. If there not affecting his kidney function she will leave him for hnow and we will just keep an eye on him, Morag isn't 100% sure that the spur is the cause of the weight loss as although it was quite big is wasn't digging in to him in anyway :?

Oh goodness poor Rex :cry:
I think surgery is the only treatment for Kidney Stones in Rabbits.Zapping them with a laser so they can then be passed in the urine does not appear to be used in Buns. The type of surgery, if attempted, depends on the degree of calcification and the degree of renal damage that's already occured. Christobel has successfully removed a Kidney from a Rabbit and the Bun is now fit and well and Binkying for Britain!!

Sending lots more vibes for Rex

Janex

Oh goodness poor Rex :cry:
I think surgery is the only treatment for Kidney Stones in Rabbits.Zapping them with a laser so they can then be passed in the urine does not appear to be used in Buns. The type of surgery, if attempted, depends on the degree of calcification and the degree of renal damage that's already occured. Christobel has successfully removed a Kidney from a Rabbit and the Bun is now fit and well and Binkying for Britain!!

Sending lots more vibes for Rex

Janex

Oh Bloody hell! Morag was going to do some research but i don't know that i could put Rex through that. he is so Tiny :(

Oh Bloody hell! Morag was going to do some research but i don't know that i could put Rex through that. he is so Tiny :(

Well if his Kidney Function is not too badly impaired yet he may be able to managed with dietary changes. It wont 'cure' the condition but may buy him some time.
Please let us know updates on the little chap

Janex

Jane, it's ultra sound, rather than laser, isn't it? You're imagining yourself as Jane Bond in Moonraker:lol:

They use Ultra Sound to break down the stone into powder, so there is no harm and the residue just come out of the body.

http://www.urologychannel.com/kidneystones/treatment-surg.shtml

Ultrasonic lithotripsy uses high frequency sound waves delivered through an electronic probe inserted into the ureter to break up the kidney stone. The fragments are passed by the patient or removed surgically.

===========

Phill, you mean Rex has a molar and kidney stone at the same time? Oh dear.

Sending healthy healing vibes to your little bun.

Back