• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Here we go again... 9 days without Panacur

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
...and Clover is getting near GI stasis. :roll: She had a new lease of life on the Panacur and was completely her old self. Now 9 days on, she's not interested in her breakfast. I've dosed her up with meds and have some poo now, so will watch and wait for her to eat.

It just seems impossible to get rid of EC! This whole '28 days course' thing is rubbish in my view - it feels like Clover needs to be on Panacur all the time!!! I know that's not a good idea, due to the risks of the drug, but it just keeps coming back.

Before I thought it might not be the EC active infection, but the permanent damage from it, but it has to be the EC or the Panacur wouldn't make her well again.

Sorry - just need to let off steam, and also raise a bit of awareness that this sort of thing happens with EC/GI stasis.

Hope you are managing to sort Clover out and that you eventually can sort everything out with your bunnies. I really feel for you over the GI stasis and know how horrible it is.

Vibes to your bunnies and hope you are ok too :D

Thanks guys. :) Clover seems quite perky tonight, but I'm going to give her some more metoclopramide just in case. Have been reading loads about EC today, including the need to bleach everything to try to prevent reinfection. I am now Queen Bleach! :lol:

Is it possible to use a different "wormer" - I'm not sure if there is one available for rabbits - but it might be that the Panacur is becoming ineffective against the parasite? Just a thought??

Funny you should say that, as I've been reading about the use of Ivermectin. It's not that the Panacur doesn't work, I don't think (as it really does seem to), but that it seems to last about a week with them before it comes back. :(

Dusty did, yes. No point in testing Clover, as she would have tested positive for having had exposure to it. There are no doubts in my mind that this is caused by EC, since every time they have Panacur they are fine again.

Thanks - she's OK today, but am giving her a few more days of Panacur. Hope Nell is OK today. :)

there is a belief that if a rabbit has active EC it is advisable to leave them on Panacur for longer than 28 days...:?

And yes there is the need to clean as much as possible as often as possible..including brushes/pans you clean out with...foood bowls etc..

Trouble is, mine have now had absolutely loads of Panacur! But on and off now. :( Both had a full 28 days, plus lots of boosters. I just wish I knew how much to give them. My vet's view is that no-one really knows how long it takes, and that the 28 day figure was pretty much plucked out of a hat. He is reluctant to treat for too long in case of liver damage, but is happy with me to try things out too.

Funny you should say that, as I've been reading about the use of Ivermectin. It's not that the Panacur doesn't work, I don't think (as it really does seem to), but that it seems to last about a week with them before it comes back. :(

Yep - my vet said that they use alternating wormers on dogs and horses to stop them becoming resistant to the use of one type - so why should rabbits be any different? It may be that the EC is being controlled by the Panacur, but not eliminated??

On a slightly different note - how long into a Panacur course before you would start to see an improvement in symptoms?

Back