View Full Version : might have to rehome the babies

16-07-2007, 06:19 PM
We just found out that it is going to cost 170 to neuter Greg and Hazel-Rah on Aug 3rd :evil: :evil: . Hazel-Rah isnt much bigger than a guinea pig, Its a ridiculas price! Now we can't afford to get the other rabbits done! with needing more hutches, runs, food and injections theres no way we can afford spayings and neuterings for all the babies :evil: Damn Vets!! It used to cost 30 each. Now my parents want to rehome the babies :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Is there even a chance unspayed females will live together? I dont want to lose the babies!!

casu consulto
16-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Yes. There's a chance.

I once owned two unspayed, unrelated females and they were lovely with one another. I believe it's easier to keep unspayed related females together. At least, a lot of these rabbit books I have from years ago when spaying rabbits wasn't routine recommend getting two females of a similar age if you wish to keep two... Admittedly, things have changed but I still believe it's possible to keep two unspayed does...

16-07-2007, 06:23 PM
Have you phoned any other vets for prices as my vet charges 40 something for boys and 56 for girls. I know there are people on here with unspayed does living together but the thought of that scares me (only from my one personal experience). Although I believe related does have a better chance of getting on with each other. Also there are lots of health benefits from spaying does :)

16-07-2007, 06:24 PM
th eproblem with not speying is taht it could lead further down the line to uterus(?) cancer, and this would not only be more expensive to treat, buta lso can be fatal,a nd a very poainful deaqth for the young girl.

is there a pdsa or similar, near to you who could possibly helpa tall?

my vets arent taht heavily priced, they are 49 be the bun male or female, hav eyou trie dshopping aroudn other vets atall?

i hope you find a work around. good luck

16-07-2007, 06:24 PM
My first rabbits were two unspayed females who lived together fine. However, have you tried ringing round different vets for different prices? If you have a vet hospital or college near you they'll often do routine operations at a cheaper price than other vetinary practices.

casu consulto
16-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Just a thought - but you could get them spayed later in life? :) Like, one spayed every three months to stagger the cost?

16-07-2007, 06:26 PM
Personally I'd never risk having an unspayed female, having watched 2 rescue buns die from uterine cancer which had spread, (one at only 3-4 years), I just couldnt take the risk. :(

16-07-2007, 06:26 PM
The problem with leaving Does entire is the risk of Uterine Cancer after the age of 3. Up to 80% of Does are effected.
The girls may get along just fine but may well have a reduced life-span. I guess its a case of weighing up the pros and cons really.
Also, what about if any-bun needed 'unexpected' Veterinary care. I certainly know that the more Buns one has the more potential there is for a drain on your Bank Balance!!

Janex :)

Ben's mum
16-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Where abouts in Surrey are you? My vets aren't the cheapest and they only charge about 70 for a spay and 60 for a neuter so even they're cheaper than yours! However if money is an issue then it's something you need to consider longterm

16-07-2007, 07:15 PM
have you asked if they would give you a discount for lots of spey/neuterings?

16-07-2007, 07:17 PM
I live in Guildford. My mum said she would take one monthly for neutering if we must, but she thinks we should consider getting homes for one or two of them :( I'm hpoing i will get an Education maintance allowce bonus at the end of this month for completing my sixth form course, if i do i will have enough for Hattie and the babies to get there injections, at least then i know if any must go that they have had there injections. My dad is planning to create a big run (half the size of the garden) and it will be divided into three seperate runs for Hattie, Greg and Hazel-Rah and the guinea pigs. Today we put Hazel-Rah with the Guinea pigs and he loves them :D. We have other runs for the babies while we decide what we are doing with them. Im hoping to help out as much as posssible with costs but with it being the summer holidays i dont get EMA for my studies and i dont have a job :? :roll:

Ben's mum
16-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Bunnies shouldn't be kept with guinea pigs for several reasons - the biggest ones being the fact that even a small bun can harm or kill a guinea pig with an accidental kick to the spine, and they have big nutritional differences (only similarity is that they both eat lots of hay/grass and certain veggies!)
I'd look around at other vets though - I'm closer to London than you in Surrey so theoretically should be more expensive around here!

16-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Keep in mind the girls won't get spayed until 6 months so that gives you a bit of time to save. I'd also ask around - try your local rescues and see if you can find a cheaper vet. Obviously you need a good one but I think you can get that and beat the price. It's also always worth asking for a discount when you've got multiple animals. It doesn't hurt to ask, they can always so no but they may say yes :)


16-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Elve on here has a group of unspayed does. At the end of the day you can only do as much as you can afford and shouldn't feel guilty. There is no rush to spay the babies so you could set up a fund and pay into it. I save 50p's and it's amazing how much that adds up to over a year. Why don't you just get your mum, dad and anyone else you can persuade to save them for you, or even 20p's??

Crystal butterfly
16-07-2007, 08:54 PM
if any thing i would concentrate on getting the boys neutered first at least then you know you wont have any more surprise babies and then do what people say save up and get a doe spayed every 3 months or so.....

when Crystal had her surprise babies i had no choice but to rehome some of them as at the time i was only on EMA as well and couldnt afford hutches etc. so i know how hard it is to make these decisions on finding homes for a few of them.

16-07-2007, 09:11 PM
I have 2 spayed does and 1 unspayed living with my four neuteured boys, and they all get on ok. The reason I left one unspayed was due to her being so nervous, she is half wild and she gets on fine with the others, but I felt she needed her hormones intially. And my two fosters and mother and daugther, both unspayed and they are fine, occasionally they hump each other but apart from that, live in bliss! Good luck with them all, I think you should do as lots have said and do it gradually, although I was planning to save to replace my car tyres gradually but shadow (the dog) has had severe diarrhoea and that cost me 100!!! so there go the tyres!! it doesnt always work out, xx

16-07-2007, 09:35 PM
What about the PDSA or other similar services? I know there are some places that will do neutereing/speys much cheaper uner certain circumstances.
But I would definitely ask around different vets (although obviously most important that they are good with rabbits!) and also ask if you can arrange some sort of payment scheme.

16-07-2007, 09:43 PM
I can't help feeling that if you are worrying about the cost of the spaying , will you be able cope financially if the buns caught an infection, or just got poorly? The vet bills then could be enormous. Sometimes we have to listen to our heads and not our hearts. It's better to have just the mum and dad, and give them a wonderful life without you worrying about the next vet bill, and let someone else have the joy of the babies. You'll not be letting them go untilthey are at least 8 weeks old anyway, and in that time you can find the best homes possible for them.

16-07-2007, 10:01 PM
I've got 5 unspayed females and one neutered boy - spaying is not the be-all and end-all of rabbit care as there are so many things that can go wrong with rabbits even when spayed. The main thing is providing these babies with a secure, caring home. Neutering the boys won't cost nearly as much, but they will be fertile for up to 8 weeks after the snip.

16-07-2007, 10:50 PM
- Neutering the boys won't cost nearly as much, but they will be fertile for up to 8 weeks after the snip.

my vet charges the very same fro both boy and girl buns...teh main reason being that it isnt the operation that is teh most costly part but the anisthetic.