• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Benji at the vets! Opinions please

lynda_m

Warren Veteran
Just had to pop Benji over to the vets as he's not eating again!

Gave him 2mls of fibreplex this morning and again before he just went to the vets but still not eating.

I'm not sure if he's pooping or not as he's in with the girls and I don't want to upset him by separting them.

The vets said there is nothing they can do that I've not already done, would you agree?

Any advice for this evening? Should I try him on some pineapple juice as it seemed to work last time.

Did the Vet give any treatment at all :?

What about an examination- abdomen/teeth/bladder/ears/chest :?

How is he within himself?

Janex

They checked his temperature, listened to his tummy and checked his teeth.

It's a new vets as with me having moved, we can't use the vets we used to so had to take a chance on the vets in my village. To be honest, I wasn't 100% happy with them, plus they advertise breeders rabbits in the reception :(

As I wasn't totally happy with their response, I have come to you guys for advice.

In himself, he seems lethargic, when I've fed them, he doesn't move which automatically sets alarm bells ringing as he's usually the first one to try and jump in the food bucket!

No, they said the fibreplex was ok as it contained prebiotics and probiotics.

She said if she gave him anything it'd just be for the sake of it and its best not to give antibiotics as it can mess with their digestive system :?

No, they said the fibreplex was ok as it contained prebiotics and probiotics.

She said if she gave him anything it'd just be for the sake of it and its best not to give antibiotics as it can mess with their digestive system :?

If they felt his tummy, surely they could have given a gut stimulant if they felt no bloackage??? I'd go back or go somewhere else if you can.

If they felt his tummy, surely they could have given a gut stimulant if they felt no bloackage??? I'd go back or go somewhere else if you can.

I thought they should have given him some gut stimulant too. I'll try him on the pineapple juice later I think and see how he is before bed time.

If not, I have an appointment to take Honey to the other vets tomorrow morning for her eye, Benji will have to come too.

I used a different vets today as they are within walking distance so I thought i'd give them a chance as I didn't have the car to get to the other vets, but I don't think i'll bother with them again!

Lynda.. see my post re Totti who's going through the same thing. I've changed Vets to one I know is bunny savvy and feel so much better about the care he is receiving

I'm not sure these vets were particularly anything savvy to be honest!

My OH phoned them to ask if we could have an appointment as our rabbit had stopped eating and was cold, when I got to the vets, they'd booked me in with one of the nurses which is not common of any of the practices i've ever been to before!

Fingers crossed this fibreplex will kick in soon and he'll start to feel a bit better. If not, he'll have to come with us on Honey's appointment tomorrow... These bunsters are costing me a small fortune at the minute! :lol:

I'm not sure these vets were particularly anything savvy to be honest!

My OH phoned them to ask if we could have an appointment as our rabbit had stopped eating and was cold, when I got to the vets, they'd booked me in with one of the nurses which is not common of any of the practices i've ever been to before!

Fingers crossed this fibreplex will kick in soon and he'll start to feel a bit better. If not, he'll have to come with us on Honey's appointment tomorrow... These bunsters are costing me a small fortune at the minute! :lol:

TBH if he has not eaten all day and you are not sure if he has poo'd I dont think he can wait til the morning :?
I really cant understand why the Vet that examined him gave no treatment at all as an anorexic Rabbit is a Rabbit with a problem :?
The fibreplex is just a pro/prebiotic and wont help gut motility if he has 'shut down'.
Could he be gassy? I would be inclined to try Infacol and tummy rubs rather than Pineapple Juice :?
If he has not eaten all day he certainly needs assisted feeding now

Janex

I've just been in to him and the girls and gave them some pellets and carrot and Benji has started eating it so he must be feeling a bit better now.

Should I still try him on the infacol or if he's better will it do more harm than good?

I've just been in to him and the girls and gave them some pellets and carrot and Benji has started eating it so he must be feeling a bit better now.

Should I still try him on the infacol or if he's better will it do more harm than good?

If he is eating now I'd just leave him to it. Infacol wont 'harm' him but there's no point stressing him if he appears to be improving. I would still take him to the more Rabbit Savvy Vet tomorrow though.

Janex

If I made an appointment and arrived only be told that I was booked in to see a nurse and not a Vet, I would go MAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:evil: :evil: :evil:

Lynda which vet are you now using?
If not sure try Borragos at Birstall but make sure booked in to see the vet called John..he's meant to be good with bunnies..also have a vet nurse there Called Kirsty who runs rabbits clinics:D
Hope Benji is ok xx

Sorry for the late reply guys. He started eating last night and has been fine since. He gets a bit 'funny' like this every now and again and the fibreplex or pineapple juice and tummy rubs usually do the trick but I do also get him checked over by the vets.

Jill, I took a chance on the Anstey vets as Simon needed the car for work so we couldn't get him to Birstall.

Took Honey to Birstall this morning and we've been seeing a south african vet called Pete Close, to be honest, he's been excellent with Honey, I had my reservations to begin but he's been great. This morning I took her for her last check up for her eye and he was genuinely pleased with her progress and then didn't charge me for it either :D

Back