• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rotting teeth---need advice!

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
Blue's eyes have been weepy scince i got him ( and befroe according to teh lady who rehomed him)
well i finlly managed to put him in a trance today and his teeth :shock: they are very dirty, wonky and have weird ridges cut into them :shock:

Is it rabbits that have two sets of inscisors? if not he has weirdly deformed teeth :cry:

luckily our car got yet another new window ( another smashed one :roll: ) so we can go to teh vets maybe tomorrow

also he doesn't like eating pellets and hard veg like carrots but can eat leaves, do you think if i wet his pellets he would be better?

Last edited:
are his incissors overgrown? sometimes a rabbit is born with an over shot jaw which means their incissors dont meet so they dont stop growing which makes it hard for them to eat pellets and veg and will need their incissors removed.

i would get him to a vet tomorrow for a check up he will need his eyes looked at as well.... has he recieved any treatment for his eyes? some rabbits who have a dust allergy have perminant waterey eyes and you would need to change his hay to a dust free one and stop using wood shavings (if this is what you use)

he is on carefresh and dust free hay,
we are booking him to the vets for tommorow, he is eating grated veg and soaked pellets at the moment.
his top inscisors are tiny and his lower ones are huge

if his lower incissors are huge then i would probably think he has an overshot jaw Kezza on here has got a rabbit with the same problem and had to have her incissors removed which will probably need to happen to Blue. but im not a vet so i hope everything goes well tomorrow they will probably give blue some eye ointment but i had a rabbit who had a constant eye infection so this could also be the same for Blue

I agree re: getting Blue to the vet asap so they can check it out properly :D Vincent had a weepy eye that turned out to be related to malocculsion of his cheek teeth. If Blue has dental problems then the weepy eye might be a secondary symptom to that :(

By two sets of incisors do you mean there are a second smaller set behind his larger main set? If so those are his peg teeth, which should be aligned exactly behind his front incisors and rather hard to see.

Sounds like he needs a dental... dont worry though. Once sorted out, feed him loads and loads and loads of hay... reduce the pellets and veg (how many do you give him a day and how much veg?)

Back