• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thumping!!

Thea & Bobbin

Warren Veteran
Wow, I experienced something with Bobbin on Sunday that I've never seen or heard him do before. He thumped! Now, I know that rabbits use this as a signal of danger to one another, and I've even heard that they may do it to alert their owners, but I don't think it was for danger.

What happened was, I was getting ready to go out to dinner, and Bobbin hadn't been out yet so I let him out for half an hour whilst getting ready, to later let him out for a few more hours. When the time came for me to go, he followed me back to his room, had a quick run around and jumped back in his cage, at this point I preceded to close it... this is when he got annoyed! He jumped on the roof of is house where he likes to sit, just looked at me and thumped his back foot really loud, just once! I was like " Oh Bobbin, what was that for...??" Then he did it once more! He looked really peed off!! I was quite shocked, and mildy upset if I'm honest, I would never want to upset him!

I gave him a treat to sweeten him up, and then he seemed all back to normal. Hopefully he won't associate the treat with thumping!!! :shock:

Has anyone else had any thumping experiences of this nature??

If it's the first time you've heard him thump you are doing well :lol:

My Poppy will thump if I stroke Gus first, If I am late with food , if I am in her way, if she wants attention....and it goes on!!

Sometimes it's a mild annoyance or a strange sound. I wouldn't worry I would guess he didn't think it was home time yet :lol:

Hahaaa, i'm glad it's normal then. Yeh, I guess he was just really annoyed at having to go back in! Awwwww, I made up for it though with a good 2 and a half hours run around when I came back from dinner!

smith always thumps if i go to feed my other lot first, or pay attention to one of the others, he hates it.

Daisy always thumps when it's time to go back in her hutch, and doesn't want to go! She'll usually run around for a while when I try and pick her up, then eventually settles in a corner, thumps, and lets me pick her up!

Mimi thumped for the first time when I scooped her up to show her to friend who dropped by. She was great while I held her and as soon as I put her down, she ran off under the dining room table and thumped! It was startling; I understand how it's upsetting!

Once after that, I had no idea what happened, she was spooked one evening. I let her out as always, and she would not come out from under the couch, thumping hard every once in a while...I still wonder about that.

LOL!! My boys do it in the middle of the night if my cats are out. They thump and its like a drum vibrating through the house - it MUST wake my neighbours up :D

Bless 'em! :lol:

Buster also thumps when he has to go for a nap. He will thump when he is running around to. Little monster.

You should see the moods Buu gets in :shock: She thumps and turns her back to me and if I move round to face her she will move too so her back is still to me, usually if she isnt getting what she wants :lol: I used to get upset but now I realise she is just a very stroppy girl and I love it :lol:

touch wood, my girls are ok,. they're not nervy birds nor are they stroppy although lilly nudges if i stroke marsha and she wants a snuggle x

Back