• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The rabbit I was going to adopt died... :(

casu consulto

Mama Doe
Last week we went to look at some bunnies at an RSPCA centre. .-. We put in an application to adopt a small black doe, called Jackie by the people there... She'd been a stray, and was due to be spayed at the end of last week. We passed the homecheck... And just now we got a phonecall saying she'd been found dead this morning, three days after being spayed.

I feel absolutely gutted, heh.

It really is. :/ Although I didn't know her, I was very excited at the prospect of adopting her... I went and bought the new hutch yesterday and everything.

Awwwww, sorry to hear that. You don't seem to have much luck with the bunnies you choose. Did you go look at the Dutch bunny that is on RU, somewhere in the Manchester area? I think Clover was her name?

:cry: I don't have any luck at all. I'm honestly starting to wonder if this is all some sort of sign. A 'you're not allowed to have another rabbit' sign. I honestly want to cry, heh. I've got to stop allowing myself to get so excited and hopeful over these things.

I've seen Clover. I keep going back to look at Clover. The RSPCA man who phoned earlier also said they'd had a new rabbit brought in a few days ago, who had been caught after days of running around people's gardens. Apparently, she's tan and white and a Dutch x Lionhead girlie, who they suspect has already been spayed. I'm finding it hard to be even slightly enthusiastic anymore.

Oh dear :(

I'm finding it hard to be even slightly enthusiastic anymore.

I'm not surprised. But on the other hand you have a new hutch and there's a rabbit out there somewhere, with nowhere to live, wanting to call it 'home'... :D

Have you tried Elaine at Tameside? She has a dutch doe on page 2 of her website (tho she may be bonded). On the other hand Elaine probably doesnt list all the rabbits she has in so may be worth asking her?

http://www.tamesiderabbitandguineapigrescue.info/index.html

That's very sad :cry:

If I were you I'd take your bunny along to Bunnyhops and let him choose his (already spayed) mate ;)

You will get another bun soon. Maybe it's better that she died in care rather than in your home, you would have been even more gutted if it had happened just after you got her. You will find another one that you like just as much that needs a home. Don't blame yourself, you certainly don't have a jinx, no one is trying to tell you anything, it's unfortunate but it's just life. Don't worry another needy bun will come along.

I visited Elaine a couple of weeks ago. ^^ She has many lovely bunnies, but no Dutch does. And most the does are not spayed, and I'd like to avoid the stress of getting a doe spayed myself... I have issues with anxiety which might go into overdrive... I don't feel as upset anymore, but I'm still feeling quite down.

Where abouts is Bunnyhops?

I'm supposed to call the rescue place where the first rabbit I was meant to adopt is... They said to keep asking, as they get rabbits in every week. Besides, I'd like to ask how the first bunny went with her pregnancy. .-.

I'm not sure. The man just said that she had been spayed 3 days ago, and that they had been concerned about her because that day she had not been eating... But he said she perked up and was eating the day after. Then today he came in and thought she was stretched out asleep, but she was dead.

that's really sad - so sorry...:cry:
don't feel down though! none of this is a 'sign', it's just a run of poor luck... you'll get your girly soon & she will have been worth the wait!

Back