• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why on earth is he digging in his hutch...

casu consulto

Mama Doe
I'm baffled. :) Anyone else have weird bunny behaviour like this?

Barney has always been a bit topsy-turvy. He uses the private, bed compartment bit of his hutch as a toilet. On the plus side, it makes a daily clean pretty easy. It also made indoor litter training easy, as all I need to do is place a box with a hole in over his litter tray and he never has an accident... But for the past week or so, he's going into his bed and digging in the corner where he's been peeing. I tried to make the bedding deeper in that area, but that hasn't stopped him. He just digs down so that the floor is bare in that area. It's not as if he only uses that corner to pee - he uses two corners. The second corner he leaves alone. He's a very clean rabbit, but when he comes bounding from his bed after digging time, he carries a whiff of bunny pee with him. :roll: Any ideas? It's not as if he's confined to his hutch all day - he's usually out in his run for 7-8 hours of the day, and when he's outside he rarely ever digs.

My 2 are the same - just normal bunny behaviour I'm afraid.

I sometimes find they dig more when it's hot.

get a deep cat litter tray and half fill it wish kid safe play sand from Early learning centre or similar. moisten it a bit and they can have fun digging harmlessley

Thats strange - Nibbler was insistent on emptying his litter trays onto my kitchen floor all day yesterday - hes never done that before either? I had to end up just leaving him to it and try to resist the urge to sweep!!! :lol:

Back