• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Totti kept in the Vets

luvabun

Warren Veteran
:cry: :cry: :cry: my little munchkin is not eating and pooing and has lost weight so we've been to the Vets and he's kept in for sub-cut fluids and feeding :cry: :cry: :cry:
Vet checked his back teeth and siad he has spurs but not that they're cutting into his cheeks.
So a worried Mum here who has to phone back at 1 pm.

Sounds very similar to what my Poppet had. I went to see him at 7pm and he was fine went the following morning early before work and he wouldnt move he was freezing cold didnt eat. So I took him to the vets they took his temperature and the vet said with his body temperature so low they told me the prognosis was not good and for me not to expect him to survive.

Anyway after being on a drip and heatpad for the day he stayed in that night and I fetched him home the next day.

The only thing my vets could think after various investigations was he had eaten something and I had a feeling he could have had a little bit of rhubarb which was in our garden but only in one area and I watched them like hawks so I couldnt see how he could have gotten to it.

Jill but be reassured if it is similar to what Poppet had he didnt have any other illness once he was over it :D Sending more vibes anyway xxxxx

Jill, could he have an ulcer at all, I only ask because that's what kept causing Kovu's poorliness.

Jill, could he have an ulcer at all, I only ask because that's what kept causing Kovu's poorliness.
I need to aks the Vets all sorts of questions so any suggestions gratefully received. What were Kovu's symptoms and how did they discover he had an ulcer?

In the xrays he had a swollen soft tissue, but in the second x ray after the metclop and metacam it had gone, but when the meds ran out it come back again. I only suggested it to vets as Suzpoz had the same thing and it wasn't untill the PM that they found her bun had an ulcer, but her bun had thickening of the lining, which was thought to be something else pre-PM. Kovu went onto antiacid meds and it controled his bloat, He stopped having it, after the three times he had it in the week. He's better now, but still on anticids.

anyone one that has the FHB book? I need to see what it says about Anorexia in rabbits... it mentions gastric ulcer but I can't read it as I don't subscribe to whatever :roll:

thaks for that... I'll tell them I want a X-ray done

They thought it was a tomour, it was deffo sort tissue not bloackage. I think you would need the x ray done after the meds have worn off. Apparently it's quite commen in bloat bunnies, I was reading about it in the FHB book, do you have a copy where you could just look up ulcer? I swear the antiacids save Kovu's life.

anyone one that has the FHB book? I need to see what it says about Anorexia in rabbits... it mentions gastric ulcer but I can't read it as I don't subscribe to whatever :roll:

rolfolol our posts crossed, I have it, but not with me.

Thanks Tree... I'll ask them about Zantac syrup. how does an ulcer show up on an X-ray? I thought it was a sort of hole :oops:

Thanks Tree... I'll ask them about Zantac syrup. how does an ulcer show up on an X-ray? I thought it was a sort of hole :oops:

The ulcer itself doesn't show up, he had this soft tissue lump, which must of been the inflammation on the lining, but the told me it was either tumor or inflammation, it was deffo soft tissue they knew this from the x ray and not blockage. Anyway as you do I thought the worse. They couldn't open him up, unless it was life and death as they said rabs don't survive with ops like that. He had three bouts of blat and statis in a week. I asked on the off chance after reading Sozpoz post whether it could be ulcer, vet said they'd try treating for it, as it would make sense.

Anyway, all of his gut problems went after a couple of days (he was seriously ill, then turned around almost straight away), he wasn't given the zantax but another anti acid that did the same thing. I think the ulcer creates the pain, which create the swelling of the soft tissue, I'm not too sure, but after being on the antiacid teh soft tissue stopped flaring up.

Back