• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help -Bald patches

Hi guys,

Bit worried as nibs has developed 4 bald patches, 3 near his botty and one down his side. He is moulting at the mo, but his skin quite flaky and under his fur on his side where that bald patch is it looks quite red/scabbyish.

I feel really awful and he looks terrible.

I think he has mites but I can't see any black bits near his skin. He is perfectly happy apart from this.

In May he was moulting and he was have the terramycin for his snuffles, which touch wood has practically gone after a year of fighting it, he has been off the drugs since may and only sneezes at the most twice a day now, considering it was almost constant before I cant believe how well he is. In May I said to my vet about having bits of white skin in his moulting hair, but she said it was normal, so I stupidly left it and its obviously doing this to him now, I feel so bad!:cry:

Do you think the treatment for mites will affect his snuffles and make it worse?

Will Six have them as well (I have checked her loads but can find no signs of mites on her whatsoever)??

They are due their boosters for mxyi and VHD, will these have to wait until he is better?

How long does it take to get rid of the mites?

Going to book an appointment tomorrow, but the vet I used to use has left my vets now, so I hope I get a nice one (the other 2 I have seen previously were quite condescending towards me!:evil: and didn't seem that bothered about rabbits and one made sox squeal!)

Sorry for the long post guys.

Thanks

Hey thanks for the reply, I went yesterday and she gave me some xeno 450? (I think that was what it was called) to put on him. 3 tubes, 1 tube every 2 weeks. I asked if it was safe and she said it was a new formula especially deveoped for rabbits which was safer than the older one? Not sure how correct that is? I think she gave this rather than the injection as she doesnt want to risk another big flare up of his snuffles.

I have to go bck after the last treatment in a months time, unless he gets worse/isn't getting any better, and she said she would take samples of his hair/skin scrapings and send it off ofr testing.

She said not to treat Sox as she had no signs of any problems. I think this might be because she said she wasn't actually convinced it was mites, but said it was best to treat him for it anyway.

She also said not to vaccinate him or Sox until this is sorted (Due this month).

I am a bit worried he might have some bad side effects, but seems ok so far, just not speaking to me after I made him go to the nasty vets :lol: I just want his blinkin hair to come back!

Back